*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
What I was told was even though it is LR, Devices like phones etc probably won't be. They will be able to hear it but won't be able to speak due to the range.

The LR part of the AP-AC-LR is the receiver antennae are better than the other models of that vintage. So the common misconception is that for good range you need to blast out signal but actually what you need is to be able to listen very closely to what remote devices are transmitting. That’s the real benefit.

The wrinkle now is that the UAP-HD-Nano has the same receiver sensitivity as the AP-AC-LR so if you can find the extra money, go with the more modern access point as it’s just better in every respect.

I would not spend extra for the AP-AC-Pro over the AP-AC-LR because I can pretty much guarantee you’ll never see it running in 3x3 MIMO mode.

Associate
We live in a very similar property, with one AC Lite positioned in the alcove between your two dots, mounted on the frieze. From there, it covers the main house, including the basement and attic. I also get a usable signal about 30m down the garden (about 1/3rd of the way), but I'm planning on adding an external access point to give full coverage in the garden.

We also have a coachhouse type entrance to the left of the layout, above which is my study, and signal isn't great there, but it's 'behind' the access point.

Is it mounted vertically or horizontally?

Wondering if I mounted it near the blue dot, vertically, then the maximum parts of the donut shape of signal would be up/down (i.e. to basement and top floor), with less signal then going horizontally (but that may not be an issue given the house is thin and tall).

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it mounted vertically or horizontally?

Wondering if I mounted it near the blue dot, horizontally, then the maximum parts of the donut shape of signal would be up/down (i.e. to basement and top floor), with less signal then going horizontally (but that may not be an issue given the house is thin and tall).

It’s flat on the wall, so vertical. If it was on the ceiling, the floor above would be ‘behind’ it, so I’d either need it higher up in the house, or another for the floor above.

We have a few at work mounted in a similar flat to the wall fashion, and they all work well.

Associate
Hi
Does anyone know if the the US-8, when used in POE Passthrough mode supports PoE+..
I have a CCTV camera that is currently using the cable i want to use as an uplink port, this goes back to the US-48-500W and works fine.
I was wondering if I use this cable from the US-48-500W to the US-8 can i still use the camera.

If i select the option to enable Passthrough I get a warning.

UPDATE POE MODE?
Are you sure you want to set the PoE mode on port 8 to Passthrough? If the connected device is not designed for this mode it could be permanently damaged.

Just wondering if this is safe.

Cheers
Rob

Associate
It’s flat on the wall, so vertical. If it was on the ceiling, the floor above would be ‘behind’ it, so I’d either need it higher up in the house, or another for the floor above.

We have a few at work mounted in a similar flat to the wall fashion, and they all work well.

Thanks for that. Just noticed in my post above I'd mentioned mounting it horizontally, of course I meant vertically - I think I'll give one a go and see how I get on.

Soldato
I've got the Unifi software on my PC but now it is saying password or username is not recognised. I've tried sending a password reset request to both m emails but have never had anything come through. Has anyone had similar?

Man of Honour
Here's my 10Gbit homelab. I've got the small 8 port for IPMI, plus I need the POE for my AP which will be moving into the loft.

I've only just moved it upstairs so still a bit of tidying to do.

bHPl0hO.jpg

Soldato
The LR part of the AP-AC-LR is the receiver antennae are better than the other models of that vintage. So the common misconception is that for good range you need to blast out signal but actually what you need is to be able to listen very closely to what remote devices are transmitting. That’s the real benefit.

The wrinkle now is that the UAP-HD-Nano has the same receiver sensitivity as the AP-AC-LR so if you can find the extra money, go with the more modern access point as it’s just better in every respect.

I would not spend extra for the AP-AC-Pro over the AP-AC-LR because I can pretty much guarantee you’ll never see it running in 3x3 MIMO mode.

How would you know if it's running in 3x3 mode. I have the Pro purely because I got it for less the the LR as our was the old model with injector in the box.

Soldato
Here's my 10Gbit homelab. I've got the small 8 port for IPMI, plus I need the POE for my AP which will be moving into the loft.

How noisy do you find the 10Gbit switch?

I'm getting to the point where I probably drop one in between my NASes and virtualisation servers given that the NASes can take SPF+ links and my main switch has a couple of SPF+ uplinks but I don't want something to noisy.

Under consideration is the Ubiquiti one (the rest of my network hardware is from them), the QNAP 12 port 10Gbit switch (although this is unmanaged and I can't find any real information on it online) or the new Mikrotik(sp) 8 port one.

Man of Honour
How noisy do you find the 10Gbit switch?

I'm getting to the point where I probably drop one in between my NASes and virtualisation servers given that the NASes can take SPF+ links and my main switch has a couple of SPF+ uplinks but I don't want something to noisy.

Under consideration is the Ubiquiti one (the rest of my network hardware is from them), the QNAP 12 port 10Gbit switch (although this is unmanaged and I can't find any real information on it online) or the new Mikrotik(sp) 8 port one.
It's fine, unless I'm within a few feet of it I can't hear it. I probably would notice if it were in the same room but I'm using a spare bedroom with the door closed so it doesn't bother me. It's probably a touch louder than the NAS but not as loud as the Supermicro servers.

Soldato
How would you know if it's running in 3x3 mode. I have the Pro purely because I got it for less the the LR as our was the old model with injector in the box.

That’s very simple. Speed test it. And yours isn’t the old model, it’s just that they decided to save a small fortune on a PoE injectors by not bundling them anymore.

As I’m sure you’re aware, the 802.11 standards are a proper hodge-pudge and one issue with 3x3 MIMO is that as soon as a 2x2 client or even a 1x1 client joins the access point, everything then runs at the speed of the slowest client, so unless all your 5GHz wireless clients are 3x3 the access point will invariably run at 2x2 speeds.

And the reason I suggested the UAP-HD Nano is it doesn’t suffer from this problem quite so badly as it can support 4x4, 3x3, 2x2 and 1x1 clients simultaneously, at their highest rated speed. It can even handle 2 2x2 clients simultaneously which is a massive boost to throughput as most Access Points can only handle one at a time (even though they appear to all be connected simultaneously, the AP actually processes the data from each client consecutively).

Associate
Need some advice as have been out of the looking at routers side of things for a while.

Am in a new build and am getting BT FTTP/H coming in at 330/60 which is nice.

The inner geek in me is wanting to replace the BT HH and put something else in its place.

At present my wifi is provided by a UAP-AC-Pro-E which is deriving it's power from a non Ubiquiti PoE switch.

Network wise, the house is split into two areas. The living room that has TV, Sky Q, Sonos Playbar, Apple TV and PS4 and then upstairs that has computer, TV/Monitor, AP and a Seagate Cloud/NAS. I also have a Philips Hue Bridge and Tado Bridge that are running. These are currently connected under the stairs to a third switch, but will be relocated so that I only have two feeds to the two main areas.

My question (eventually) is would it be worthwhile going down the route of replacing the HH with a Ubiquiti offering and of so which? Have been looking at the Unifi Security Gateway Router as an option but would the ERLite-3 be a better option.

Have no leaning one way or the other at the moment, other than the fact that I have a Unifi WAP, so will have one software UI for controlling things

EDIT - Do not have any VLAN action going on at present. May be something I will look at in the future if anyone can convince me of the benefits

Soldato
Do you have to replace the HH? No, not really. as a router I find they're pretty good, it's the Wifi that lets them down but if you've already got a Unifi AP and you're not using any VLANs at home then the HH will probably suffice. Why not run with it for a while and see

Edit - Removed the bit about the VDSL modem, I missed the FTTP bit.

Associate
Has been up and running since early Dec, so have had a good run with it. TBH, the BT router seems to be doing a fair enough job, it is I just like to tinker.

Have had a look at the user manual for the USG and despite the pics I have seen showing that the 2nd WAN port also has a LAN identification on it, the user manual lists this as a disabled VOIP port, so it looks like the USG would not have enough LAN ports for me and would still need me to have a switch to split between my upstairs and downstairs.

Am planning on a re-cabling later today, so will give it some thought while I am doing that

Soldato
Newer versions of the USG have the VOIP port labelled as WAN2. You can make it a LAN port but it's best not to as it'd be routing rather than switching so performance is pretty bad. You'd be better off with a switch.

Tbh the reason I got a USG is because I like to tinker too. I've no grumbles and it's nice to have more information showing up in the Unifi controller.

Back
Top Bottom