1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by RoyMi6, Apr 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Biz.Kid09

Sgarrista

Cheers mate, I hadn't noticed the 10/100, good spot. I will wait and see what the consensus is. Likely going to end up with a Unifi one of some kind. Doesn't seem to be much between the Cube and AC-Lite however?

I wont be wall/ceiling mounting so I am leaning towards the cube at the moment.

2. WJA96

Capodecina

The Mikrotik wsAP ac lite RBwsAP-5Hac2nD is their competitor for the AP-AC-IW, so it's not directly comparable to the AP-AC-Lite. One thing to factor into the cost debate is that the Mikrotik doesn't come with a PoE injector so you'll need one of those if you don't currently have one. £10 should cover it.

In terms of performance, Mikrotik are generally excellent, certainly on a par with Ubiquiti and in this case I would say that the antennae will perform very well in the wasy it is designed ie. across the room. You'll get very little off-axis so upstairs/downstairs performance may be poor depending how you mount it. A ceiling mounted AP-AC-Lite will always be better for multi-floor/multi-room coverage than a wall mounted wsAP ac lite RBwsAP-5Hac2nD.

A better comparison would be the AP-AC-Lite with the Mikrotik cAP AC. And then you'll find there is no cost benefit.

3. iMacMart

Capodecina

So my UAP-AC-HD doesn't seem to send signal to all areas of my bungalow so I'm going to get 2 x UAP-AC-LR is there a suitable POE 4 port hub/switch I could use to power these devices then I'll put one at equal distances within my place and should get full coverage then...

Thanks gents

4. pcfarrar

Hitman

The UniFi US-8-60W is the best switch to get for 2 AC-LR AP's.

5. iMacMart

Capodecina

Great thanks!

6. bledd

Don

You could just get a dumb 5 port PoE switch. Doesn't have to be Ubiquiti if you don't care about the graphs etc.

Just make sure the ACLite are the bette model that does 24v and 48v

7. WJA96

Capodecina

I may be wrong but don't think the Unifi switches contribute anything to the Unifi system except that VLANs and port-forwarding is very easy to set up with the Unifi switches. The big step-up in functionality comes with the USG router. So yes, any dumb 48V PoE switch should be fine assuming they are the newer type access points. And if the Access points were the old 24V type then you'd need at least a US-8-150W because the US-8-60W is 48V only.

8. the-evaluator

Wise Guy

You'll get port utilisation and stats showing in the controller if you're using Unifi switches but nothing too exciting.

If the access points are the older 24v jobbies then you could use an INS-3AF-I-G to power it from a 48v PoE port.

9. Kol

Don

Currently doing this with one of my older AC Lites being powered by my US8-60. Works great and small enough to go in the ceiling.

10. the-evaluator

Wise Guy

I was surprised how small they are too, I picked up a couple for my older AC-LR's.

11. HEADRAT

Capodecina

I have a Unifi 3P router connected via PPPoE to a Billion 8800NL, I have a suspicion that I by 3P might be "choking" my connection.

Has anybody had to do any tweaks (MSS Clamping etc) on their 3P in order to get the full bandwidth from their BT FTTC 80/20 Internet connection?

12. the-evaluator

Wise Guy

Nope. I've got a USG 3P connected to a Vigor 130 which is syncing at 74/20 (used to be 80/20 until a few months back) and it's all working fine.

What makes you think the USG is the problem?

13. pcfarrar

Hitman

Only if your bridge modem supports 1508 MTU (baby jumbo frames).

14. HEADRAT

Capodecina

If I go onto the BT wholesale checker I see:

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps) 73.4
    Max Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps) 20
    Observed Date 2019-01-29

but I'm only getting around 63 Mbps on my lan but I also need to check my Billion stats

15. pcfarrar

Hitman

Do you have smartqueues or IPS/IDS enabled on your USG?

16. HEADRAT

Capodecina

No smartqueues and I've disabled IPS

17. ChrisD.

Capodecina

I've just changed my USG 3 to a USG Pro 4. I used to get 60 Mbit down with IDS and smart queues disabled while the line sync'd at 67 dead on. With the Pro 4 I now get 65 Mbit down.

I don't know whether this is directly due to the upgrade but I also now have smart queue and IDS and it's all working fine.

I do not however like the fan noise. It's not loud, it's more of a buzz and it's annoying. Are they 40mm? If so I have some 40mm Noctua fans laying around and I may change it.

18. HEADRAT

Capodecina

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  19. Sin_Chase

Capodecina

Nonsense. I've always got linespeed with my FTTH on ERL3 with NAT and firewall. Including 1Gbit Up/Down

20. RSR

Sgarrista

What is your vDSL modem syncing at? As if you are synced around 65Mb ~ those figures would look to be correct. Also you need to take into account on a vDSL line that your throughput is normally 96% ~ of your total sync'ed speed on your DL sync.

The BT site doesn't up every day I noticed, its best to pull the stats from the modem. I get line speed on mine (FTTC - My currently synced @ 78561 / 16348 Line rate (kbit/s) )