*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Why didn't they supply him with a US-XG-6? It's specifically designed to supply 10GbE 802.11bt PoE++ to the XG access point range?

I did like the fact that his core 10GbE switch is a Mikrotik CRS-312-4c+8xg :)

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I thought that was a little odd, I would have thought they would have given him a US-16-XG for a core switch or like you say a US-XG-6.

Associate
Hi Guys,

I'm abit of a network newbie. I'm trying my best to understand what I want and what I need which has landed me with Ubiquiti.

Im struggling to get a signal to my nest security cam at the back of my house. We have a decent sized 2 bed semi so I dont need to go crazy with a full on mesh system ( I dont think). Im with Virgin Media 350mb package with the superhub 3 which doesnt feel stable.

Here's a link to my floor plan. I have two Ethernet cables running through my house. One in the second bedroom the other in the conservatory.
a>

Without anyones advice, I was thinking of putting my virgin super hub 3 into modem mode and buy a AmpliFi HD Mesh Router. Then using the ethernet cable that is in the conservatory with a UniFi AC Lite. Upstair the wifi seems fine so probably stick with my Ethernet splitter.

This comes to ~£220.00

Is this the setup you guys would recommend?

Soldato
I don't know the Virgin router but as well as modem mode can you leave it in router mode and just turn off the Wifi? If so, and you don't have any advanced routing or firewall requirements I'd be tempted to do that, put the AC Lite at the back as you intend and then one in Bedroom 2 on the end of the ethernet cable there. I suspect you'll get better coverage than having no wireless upstairs (even though I acknowledge you say its no problem now) Would be a bit cheaper too.

Soldato
The Amplifi router won’t work natively with the UniFi access point. You’d need a Unifi Dream Machine to do that. Which will be about £280 just for that then £70 for the AP-AC-Lite. So about £350. And then you have the issue of how to mount the AP-AC-Lite. I’m guessing that you can’t mount it in the upstairs ceiling? In which case I would suggest not bothering as mounting it on a shelf or table will give you disappointing results. What you could possibly do is replace your upstairs Ethernet socket with an AP-AC-IW in-wall access point. It’s designed to do that and it fires across the building so it will give you good WLAN upstairs. That should be about the same money as an AP-AC-Lite. You will need a PoE injector to power it though as it doesn’t come with one.

Soldato
I would have thought a single AP from eithernet point 2 would cover everything you need. I’m thinking flexHD will do the job.

As others have said, turn off the WiFi on the super hub but keep it doing the routing duties.

In the unlikely event that doesn’t cover it then add a AP-mesh to eithernet point 1 later down the line.

For reference I have a single nanoHD mounted on my landing ceiling which covers a 4 bed house. It’s the same as a flexHD, just a different form factor more suited to being mounted on a ceiling.

Soldato
Hi Guys,

I'm abit of a network newbie. I'm trying my best to understand what I want and what I need which has landed me with Ubiquiti.

Im struggling to get a signal to my nest security cam at the back of my house. We have a decent sized 2 bed semi so I dont need to go crazy with a full on mesh system ( I dont think). Im with Virgin Media 350mb package with the superhub 3 which doesnt feel stable.

Here's a link to my floor plan. I have two Ethernet cables running through my house. One in the second bedroom the other in the conservatory.
a>

Without anyones advice, I was thinking of putting my virgin super hub 3 into modem mode and buy a AmpliFi HD Mesh Router. Then using the ethernet cable that is in the conservatory with a UniFi AC Lite. Upstair the wifi seems fine so probably stick with my Ethernet splitter.

This comes to ~£220.00

How old is the house and what's its construction? I'm in a 3 year old house and had to put APs in the eaves to get a good signal for my Nest cameras outdoors. Until then the external walls of the house were blocking the majority of the signal and the cameras constantly went offline.

Associate
How old is the house and what's its construction? I'm in a 3 year old house and had to put APs in the eaves to get a good signal for my Nest cameras outdoors. Until then the external walls of the house were blocking the majority of the signal and the cameras constantly went offline.
House was build 1905 - solid brick walls, when i refurbished I put 55mm insulating plasterboard on all outer walls which hasnt helped.

Caporegime
Hi Guys,

a>

This comes to ~£220.00

If you can get a single good AP around the wall area between the lounge, dining room and the hall then I'd be surprised if that didn't cover the entire house. I can see why the mesh systems are popular but they seem to be more useful in the sprawling single-floor houses that exist in the USA and tend to get deployed in the UK to make up for poor positioning of the ISP router.

If you wanted to use the existing cables then turn off the Wi-Fi on the Virgin hub and pick up a couple of the older Google Wi-Fi units (as they have ethernet ports) and put one next to the VM router, and the other in the conservatory.

Associate
There's one Unifi seller that bundles 3 years' hosted cloud controller with APs. However apart for the AC-PRO their prices (even without the 'free' controller) are £15+ more per AP than mainstream retailers. Are there any others that do this, as it's one fewer thing to think about running?

Back
Top Bottom