*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
U6-Lite is the same mounting bracket as UAP-AC-Lite, UAP-AC-LR, UAP-HDNano. The U6-LR and U6-Pro use the same mounting bracket as the UAP-AC-Pro, UAP-AC-HD, UAP-AC-SHD.

And yes, as @b0rn2sk8 stated, you can re-use some of the existing mounting holes.

Have you considered the U6-Lite?

Thanks for the info. Wasn't aware that some of the existing mounting holes could be used for APs that use a different bracket.

I hadn't considered the U6-Lite since I wasn't really sure how to determine if it would help with regards to range.

Soldato
Thanks for the info. Wasn't aware that some of the existing mounting holes could be used for APs that use a different bracket.

I hadn't considered the U6-Lite since I wasn't really sure how to determine if it would help with regards to range.

It's really hard to say. As @b0rn2sk8 stated, physics kicks in much earlier than the marketing department would like and I would say the real difference between the 2x2 U6-Lite and the 4x4 U6-LR is the MuMiMo configuration. The true range king is the UAP-AC-(S)HD as that has the biggest, most sensitive, antenna array but even then you're only talking 2-3m of extra coverage. I would almost certainly rather have 2 x £99 U6-Lites than one £200 U6-LR with iffy coverage around the edges of my building.

Soldato
It's really hard to say. As @b0rn2sk8 stated, physics kicks in much earlier than the marketing department would like and I would say the real difference between the 2x2 U6-Lite and the 4x4 U6-LR is the MuMiMo configuration. The true range king is the UAP-AC-(S)HD as that has the biggest, most sensitive, antenna array but even then you're only talking 2-3m of extra coverage. I would almost certainly rather have 2 x £99 U6-Lites than one £200 U6-LR with iffy coverage around the edges of my building.

Thanks again. 2-3m of coverage would probably do it since the car gets a signal some of the time.

There is no chance of me running cables into the converted garage where the AP would need to go to cover the driveway. May have to look at one of those Ubiquiti devices that attach to the wall instead.

Soldato
Hi all, looking back it's about 2 years since I got the UDM (non pro) and broadly speaking I've been super happy. It's worked reliably without any of the flakiness we saw with the VM Super Hub (2 I think). I'm looking to extend a bit and was hoping for some advice please.

At the moment we just have the UDM sat on top of a bookcase in our lounge next where the Virgin Media port already was when we bought the place. I work from home and my office is on the floor above ("Bedroom 3"), at the opposite side of the house. Wifi is a bit spotty in the office and bathroom but otherwise pretty solid.

I'd been thinking of locating a Unifi POE switch somewhere upstairs, getting someone in to run a network cable or two up behind the guttering downpipe outside the lounge and then using the loft space to run ethernet to drop down initially just into the office (Mac, Printer, NAS) and upstairs landing for an additional wifi access point.

Most of our other devices are Wifi, but we do have one of the Sonos, an Apple TV 4K, Xbox and a Raspberry Pi running ZWay in the lounge.

I had initially thought a Unifi Flex switch (USW-Flex) in the attic might be a good idea, as we don't have any power sockets up there and it looks like it can be POE powered and also power the AP via POE, however reading up on some older threads that's either a great idea or a terrible one depending on who you ask. It also seems to be sold out everywhere.

Other candidates for a switch might be the cupboards over the stairs in either Bedroom 1 or Bedroom 3 (currently an office but as we have two young kids not forever).

House is block with cavity walls (insulated).

Any help much appreciated.

USW-8-60W or PoE injector next to the UDM, single cable straight through the outside wall (8mm hole), run up behind the nearest drain downpipes, through the soffit (8mm hole) across the attic and then a single 8mm hole through the ceiling as centrally as possible. You’d probably get away with a U6-lite but if it’s your only AP maybe a U6-LR would be better long term. The general consensus of opinion on here is always run two cables but in this case one would be fine.

Associate
USW-8-60W or PoE injector next to the UDM, single cable straight through the outside wall (8mm hole), run up behind the nearest drain downpipes, through the soffit (8mm hole) across the attic and then a single 8mm hole through the ceiling as centrally as possible. You’d probably get away with a U6-lite but if it’s your only AP maybe a U6-LR would be better long term. The general consensus of opinion on here is always run two cables but in this case one would be fine.

Thank a lot for the input, sounds like I'm on the right track then. I was only going to add the additional AP for upstairs as the UDM itself is an AP. But could go for an LR and turn off the AP in the UDM if that's likely to be better. Or just get the LR and see if UDM on or off works best.

USW-8-60W is a good shout as I'd likely be looking to replace the unmanaged TP-Link I have there anyway.

I figured I'd get someone in to do the run up to the attic as I'm not super confident on getting a cable through the cavity walls. There's a perfectly working (tested by running a coax out of the loft hatch briefly) TV aerial up in the loft too so figured I could get them to run both for me. We stream everything at the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato
Managed to order a UDMP Pro SE to try along with some of the newer wifi 6 ap. See how they get on before switching out my Cky2plus and udm and poe switch as be nice to have it all on one box.

Soldato
Managed to order a UDMP Pro SE to try along with some of the newer wifi 6 ap. See how they get on before switching out my Cky2plus and udm and poe switch as be nice to have it all on one box.
Kind of interested in the Pro SE, let us know how you get on.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Is there a viable UniFi 10 Gbps capable firewall on the horizon which will be available and supported in the UK?

UDM-Pro has 10Gb ports for WAN and LAN interfaces (£350~). However, it will not pass traffic at full line speed but not sure how far the 10Gb requirement goes.

Unless you have a requirement for a leased line, you won't see much beyond 2.5Gb generally on the residential side well not untill they start uprading the headend and using XGPONs.

Man of Honour
UDM-Pro has 10Gb ports for WAN and LAN interfaces (£350~). However, it will not pass traffic at full line speed but not sure how far the 10Gb requirement goes.

Unless you have a requirement for a leased line, you won't see much beyond 2.5Gb generally on the residential side well not untill they start uprading the headend and using XGPONs.

The requirement is twofold. One is to future-proof any potential upgrade of FTTP so not really relevant for a few years at least until OR start releasing XGS-PON. The second is that I have a number of VLANs at home and being able to move data between them at 10 Gbps would be a nice thing to have.

You didn’t ask if it was released, you asked if it was on the horizon. And it should be under £500.

True, but I had a Google and saw one for sale for about £1200.

Part of me is tempted to build my own edge device and run something like Untangle on it.

Man of Honour
Is there a way for a port on a switch to change its profile depending on which client is plugged into it? I ask as I have an external monitor and network cable and I switch it between a customers' laptop which is on an isolated VLAN and also my own MacBook Air which I want on a different VLAN. It's annoying to have to change the switch port each time I change the device.

Back
Top Bottom