** Official Ubuntu Thread **

Soldato
Just a heads up if you haven't tried it yet that the new 17.10 Ubuntu release is really nice!

So much better than the 17.04. It has a very snappy feel to the desktop. Gnome is a nice improvement over Unity.

Soldato
OP
I'm actually switching to Fedora as we speak.

---

Preferring Fedora to be honest. Cleaner more professional look to it.

Ubuntu 18.04 felt a bit buggy and flaky to me.

---

Actually finding Fedora flaky as well. Lots of Gnome crashes and crash to login screen during install of VMsin vbox.

Fresh install as well. So I've opted for Centos 7 instead.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Quite liking the new 18.10 version. Nice upgrade form 18.04 and previous Ubuntu versions.

Seems stable, fast and things just work.

---

Is there any reason why some software is a little behind the latest versions?

For example LibreOffice comes with the OS but is a few minor versions behind and also VirtualBox is in the repositories but is also a few minor versions behind.

I could update them to the last versions manually but was wondering if there was a reason for this?

What I notice as a difference is the version are _ubuntu for example. Which indicates to me these are ubuntu specific versions. Probably tested.

---

One thing which is great but unexpected is in Ubuntu videos on websites and YouTube just work! Not sure if it's flash or not but in Fedora you just get an error message that the video couldn't play back due to an error.

This is in Firefox on both operating systems. I doubt Firefox on Ubuntu is being shipped with Flash pre-installed.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Can someone breakdown snaps vs flatpak vs just using apt?

In general software installed via snaps and flatpak can be more up-to-date.

Snaps are native to Ubuntu. Flatpak you have to install.

Due to security concerns some developers have shunned snaps and only release as flatpak like Keepassxc for example.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Having updated to the latest release Mantic Minotaur the new Firmware Updater utility keeps popping up letting me know there is a "UEFI Dbx - UEFI revocation database" update.

No other information is really available for it so I don't quite know what it is offering me.

I have applied the latest bios update for my mobo so I am a bit perplexed what it could be offering me and I am wary to run the upgrade in case it breaks something.

Do we really need Ubuntu (or any os for that matter) to manage our firmware?

If I apply some open source firmware, how does that work when it comes to updating it again from official sources...???

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thunderbird is being moved over to snap and they plan on releasing an all snap desktop in a few months built around Ubuntu Core.

I dont like how some apps are shunning snaps in favour of flatpak.

The community needs to just decide on one and make it the best it can be.

Looks like Flatpak is gonna be the winner though due to security.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom