Officially old

Soldato
When everyone in positions of power and authority are younger than you are. Especially the boss.
Can't read small print in books anymore
When you're young your bladder appears to be elastic you need to go but can hang on, when you get older you have to go or else

Associate
- Wetherspoons app asks: "were you born after Oct 2005?"
- you start to become forgetful
- losing hair in the right places (head)
- gaining hair in the wrong places (nose, ears)
- you get fatter
- colds last longer than a week
- your manager is younger than you!
- you still use FB because only oldies use FB now
- you relegate from Radio 1 to Radio 2
- you relegate from coffee to tea
- you promote from lagers to real ales
- you don't "get" the most recent 'memes' (waaaay over-used word)
- you have never used TikTok
- getting up for the toilet 1-2 times a night
- you still have a VHS / cassette collection
- non-Tory voters start voting for Tory

I'm still going to raves at 45. Last one was Sundissential 5 weeks ago. Next up is Amnesia this Saturday :)

Oi! Mine is set at 130% with a minimum font size override of 28 point.
a lot of this applies to me except I drink shots over lager or beer due to the getting up during the night(also the same for tea and coffee, pee all night if I have too many or to late in the evening), never used fb or tik tok, never been to a rave,what's a meme? Most of this started in my 30's aswell. Just a sad old grumpy bugger.

Last edited:
Soldato
You think most "modern" music, and movies etc are all crap.
I agree with you there with the music. It’s unforgettable. Doubt it will be played 40-60+ years time like we do with 60s, 70s and 80s music.

Today’s music will not be played in 40-60 weeks.

Movies are rehashed updated films (which are usually lower rated than the original), pointless prequels and sequels, pointless offshoots…..

Some people say they are remakes are for the younger generation as refuse to watch older films. A proper film buff will watch anything and the age of the film is the lowest priority….

Soldato
I agree with you there with the music. It’s unforgettable. Doubt it will be played 40-60+ years time like we do with 60s, 70s and 80s music.

Today’s music will not be played in 40-60 weeks.

I think that's unfair. As I posted previously, the overwhelming majority of pop music has always been crap. For every Beatles, Queen, Oasis, etc. there are thousands of other bands from the same era that have disappeared into obscurity. The same will be true of today's pop music (and tomorrow's).

Movies are rehashed updated films (which are usually lower rated than the original), pointless prequels and sequels, pointless offshoots…..

Purely my opinion, but I think a lot of this stems from 2 things.

#1. Making a (blockbuster) film these days is far more expensive, so the big studios tend to "play it safe" with formulae and IPs which they know will be (relatively) successful. It's very similar to the trend we see in video games unfortunately (e.g. Generic Ubisoft Game 2,398).

#2. The ever improving quality of CGI has pushed filmmakers into focussing on "spectacle" rather than storyline, by which I mean - coming up with a load of fancy special effects, and then using a generic storyline as an excuse to show them off, rather than the opposite which was historically true - coming up with an engaging storyline and then figuring out how to use special effects to tell that story.

Again, this is also true of video games, where you end with photorealistic graphics, GPU crippling raytracing and particle effects, all covering storyline and gameplay which has as much depth as the layer of aluminium deposited on the 8.2m diameter mirror of the VLT.

Last edited:
Associate
I was pretty knackered with a bug last weekend and found myself really looking forward to being able to spend most of Sunday in bed recovering.

It was great, right up until I remembered how annoyed I used to get at my dad for doing the same thing.

Soldato
The average OcUKer in coming years:

iidUJxy.jpg

I think that's Magnolia now in fact :D
I'll be seeing You :o

Soldato
Did you check up on this Doctor? Did he do this procedure in his surgery or round the back of Greggs?
Why are you assuming it's a male Dr with the finger.
I had a female Doc with fingers like Cumberland sausages do my test -Yes it hurt.

yes that's another thing to look forward to in old age.

Great thread - Perhaps we should get name changed from OCUK to OPUK (old people) :D

Soldato
Did you check up on this Doctor? Did he do this procedure in his surgery or round the back of Greggs?
I had somehow got it in my head that prostates can be examined with ultrasound now, that the 'digital exam' was a thing of the past....

No, it is not, as I discovered when asked to drop my trousers and roll over :(

But seriously, it's not that bad, get yoselves checked out lads.

Soldato
On the subject; Jnr Doctors - I don't know whether to give them a lolly or ask them to name their favourite cartoon.

The Jnr Dr I saw this morning, I could've bounced him on my knee and I'm not even old!

I feel proper ancient now :(

Soldato
I had somehow got it in my head that prostates can be examined with ultrasound now, that the 'digital exam' was a thing of the past....

"Finger up the um no harm done" long as the Dr is generous with the lube . On that note I had mine checked about 4 years ago in Hospital by a female Dr who looked about 21yrs so I knew I was getting old (over 50) she was quite attractive too :p

Soldato
Landed a date with one of the bar staff a few weeks back.

Conversation touched upon the Sept 11th attacks. Told her I was walking back from college when I heard it happened. She replied with "Yeah, that happened before I was even born..."

December I be going to the hospital for a full body health checkup as I be 40 that month.

Last edited:
Soldato
Landed a date with one of the bar staff a few weeks back.

Conversation touched upon the Sept 11th attacks. Told her I was walking back from college when I heard it happened. She replied with "Yeah, that happened before I was even born..."
Dude, this is the 'Officially old' thread. I think you were looking for the 'Morally Deplorable' thread and took a wrong turn somewhere...

Soldato

Yeah im considering getting checked out. Seems prostate cancer runs in my family. My dad and uncle (dads brother) have both had prostate cancer

Back
Top Bottom