• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OH NO! How bad is this?

Soldato
mc_bob said:
Hey Sir Random how is that actually held on?

MC_Bob
There's a small plastic leg underneath the bracket, and the two prongs are gripping it from either side. When the cooler was attached, the vertical force held it in place. That wire is much stronger than it looks :)

You can just see the legs here:

261003_18s.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
LOL! It's currently up and running again with the three cable ties... It's running fine, and is actually currently running about 4-5 degree cooler than before :)

Permabanned
Albaba said:
Just checked on the HL2 website and there is a patch out for that problem. :D :D

Albaba :rolleyes:

Rofl, WTF!!!

To OP, if you probably arent going to change the cooler in the near future, i wouldnt bother with replacing the mounting. Cable ties never let me down.

To Sir Random, thats pretty good you know ;) . But I think I would have just whacked some cable ties on :) , I'm just like that lol

MC_Bob

Associate
Cable ties are awesome. Don't worry about them letting go. It might interest you to know that a lot of race motorbikes (those that actually race on track, not road going race bikes) have numerous parts held on by cable ties and duck tape. :cool:

Associate
Cable ties are awesome. Don't worry about them letting go. It might interest you to know that a lot of race motorbikes (those that actually race on track, not road going race bikes) have numerous parts held on by cable ties and duck tape.

So does my car, but I am not proud of that.

Soldato
ElectroBlaster said:
Thermalright slk-800u or slk-900u, both bolt onto the board and do away with the retention frame alltogether

you missed out the legendary SP-94 ;)

(p.s will get that bracket out in the post in the morning, i have had assignements on so not had chance to get to the postie yet)

Associate
thefranklin said:
So does my car, but I am not proud of that.

You wouldn't be proud that in a last minute situation you fixed up a race bike to a standard that can take a huge amount of punishment with nothing but cable ties and duck tape, thus allowing you to carry on racing that weekend rather than pulling out? Saving you hundreds if not thousands in repair bills?

I'm damn proud that a few quid on cable ties saved me from having to buy new fairing panels for a cost of several hundred pounds.

Soldato
OP
Cyber-Mav said:
could you not replace the cooler with one that uses the bolt holes to bolt onto the motherboard? something like the big typhoon or scythe ninja?

The annoying thing is I'm sure my Zalman came with such a mounting kit, but I'm bugg*rd if I can find it :rolleyes:

Permabanned
That happened to me on my old motherboard,my pc turned off instantly, and hearing a crack and turning off, my heart sank instantly. It rebooted though but my Northy was sitting at 77 Celsius just loading windows :(

Back
Top Bottom