Oil smell inside car cabin

Soldato
Car: VW Golf 1.6 TDI (2012)
68k miles

So on Saturday morning I set off for a journey to Heathrow and noticed that there was this weird smell of burning oil coming inside the cabin when I turned the fans on. If I turn the AC on then the smell goes away.

I opened the hood and removed the engine cover to see if I could see any visible leaks or the likes but everything looked okay.

Roll forward today, I turned the car on and could smell the oil again, however once I got onto the motorway the smell cleared up within minutes. I left the car to idle a few minutes after my journey and no smell.

99% of my mileage is motorway but I'm not sure what exactly the issue is.

Can anyone shed some thought on this?

Having problem after problem with this car (so much for the so called reliability of the Golf!)

The car was serviced a month ago and no issues were found, just the annual service and change of filters etc.

Soldato
OP
oil leaking somewhere and burning on the engine.

I hope not =/

If the smell has now gone and doesn't return, it could have just been spilt oil from the service, sat on something hot, which you've now burnt off.

Why would the smell only come now though after a month of service? Surely if this was the case the smell would have appeared much sooner?

Soldato
OP
Depends entirely on how often it's driven and if the oil had to drip down from somewhere that wasn't particularly hot.

I'd still be checking oil level as a matter of course.

Drive it Mon-Fri on motorway about 40 mile return trip daily.

I'll check at home time to see if the smell is still there, I'll check the oil level too, thanks!

Soldato
I had this where very small amounts of oil were leaking from the cam covers and dripping onto one of the catalysts, where it immediately burned off. Above the catalyst is the cabin fresh air intake, so it smelled very strongly in the cabin.

Smell would disappear once moving since the airflow through the engine bay pushed the oil smoke away from the cabin air intake.

Fixed by re-sealing the cam covers of course :)

Soldato
OP
I had this where very small amounts of oil were leaking from the cam covers and dripping onto one of the catalysts, where it immediately burned off. Above the catalyst is the cabin fresh air intake, so it smelled very strongly in the cabin.

Smell would disappear once moving since the airflow through the engine bay pushed the oil smoke away from the cabin air intake.

Fixed by re-sealing the cam covers of course :)

Was this on a Golf mate?

A bit of an update, on the journey home there was no oil smell at all. I went out in the evening later on too and no smell again.

Will check this morning but fingers crossed your theory is correct paradigm!

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately the smell came back again today, a few colleagues said they could smell it outside of the car too :/

Have it booked in on Saturday morning for my regular mechanic to take a look at it.

Soldato
OP
Just a bit of an update:

Went to the mechanic who put it on the ramp, no oil leaks whatsoever. He said he could only smell a bit of fumes but that was about it.

Told me to monitor it for the next week and see if it clears away.

Associate
Sorry to drag this thread up from the past, but did you find a fix ?

Exact issue on my 2012 Golf 1.6TDI, have read it could be the gasket and clamp between the Turbo and dpf that seems to fail.

Back
Top Bottom