Ok theoretical upgrade, opinions please chaps...

Soldato
PCI-E time me thinks.

So I'm very impressed with the pre "reviews" of the new upcoming DFI CFX3200-DR RD580 board, (939 pin crossfire) so I think I'll get one.

Now GFX, I'm wanting to get the ATI X1800XT 512Mb card as its the same or slightly faster than the 7900GT at the same price. My quandry is do I get the master card edition or the normal version as there is not much £ difference, incase I decide to go crossfire...

Now all I have to do is sell my Neo2 and 6800GT before the end of the month ;)

Oh almost forgot, I'll need a good 300Gb or higher SATA II drive, recommendations?

Soldato
OP
Monstermunch said:
Hitachi for reliability or Samsung for quietness - either really, both good drives.

Avoid Maxtor like the plage they are totally unreliable!

I was just looking at the Seagate Barracude 7200.9 NCQ 300GB (ST3300622AS SATA-II 16MB Cache), look very good for 80 notes.

Soldato
OP
Jack Bauer said:
Crossfire is not going to need a master card soon, Theres going to be a driver release so certain ati boards can run two normal x1xxx series cards. Check the graphics forum for more info

The X1800/1900 will still need a master card as they need the composition engine chip found on the master cards, so I'm told....

Soldato
OP
semi-pro waster said:
The suggestion is that with the new RD580 chipset and new Catalyst drivers(can't remember the version number offhand but maybe 6.7 or something like that) the need for a mastercard will be done away with.

However if you don't have or intend to get an RD580 based motherboard or even don't want to take the chance about the above information but might try Crossfire then given there is little difference in price you might as well buy the mastercard now since they are much more scarce than the normal X1800XTs.

I'd also disagree with the blanket statement about Maxtors, some may be some aren't. It comes down to personal experience mainly and I've yet to have a problem with mine.

I'll be getting the DFI CFX3200-DR RD580 board next month....

Back
Top Bottom