Old DDR3 in Dell Optiplex 9010

Associate
I had a Corsair 1600mhz DDR3 2x2gb ram I bought for my PC when I built it. I bought the 1.65V and overclocked my CPU to 4.2ghz and the ram to 1600mhz over the default. Stability was fine, but it would blue screen randomly after playing games for 2-3 hours.

Since then I swapped out the ram for 2x 4gb Corsair dominator 1.5v and 2x 8gb corsair low profile 1.5v a year later. No more blue screens since.

I recently bought my dad a dell optiplex 9010 with an ivy bridge i5 and it has 2x 4gb ddr3 running at 1600mhz. Thinking of using my old ram and putting it into the second pair of DDR3 slots.

Questions are:
1. Do you think my ram was defective? Or just unstable because I bought 1.65v by accident?
2. Do you think it would be stable in the dell optiplex?

Were you running the 1.65v RAM at the default 1.5v but still running the ram at it's rated 1600mhz?

I think so, I never touched the voltages or enabled XMP. Just manually increased the memory frequency to 1600mhz. Poor buying choice at the time I think!

I think so, I never touched the voltages or enabled XMP. Just manually increased the memory frequency to 1600mhz. Poor buying choice at the time I think!

I expect there is nothing wrong with memory then.

1.5v and running it at 1333mhz it should be stable.

Back
Top Bottom