Old Gatehouse - Build Log

Soldato
Nothing constructive to say but I love that house. It has bundles of character and charm. We’ve just paid double that for a 1950’s 2 bed detached bungalow/shoebox in Surrey which needs lots of work done to it. Depressing really.

Soldato
OP
Well now i'm in i figured i'd keep this thread updated with updates to the work we do. Sadly it won't be anywhere near as impressive as some of the others on here at the moment!

Today the carpets are being fitted. Will make a huge difference to the feel in the bedrooms. Can also start getting furniture out of the shed for the kids bedrooms and start sorting that out into a workshop.

Soldato
OP
Will update with the pics i've posted elsewhere at some point :)

Have also just hit the button on our kitchen worktops. Very nervous about that as ideally could do with the money elsewhere but i never saw any i liked anywhere near as much!

There are 5 Velux windows in the house and i'm now also looking at remote controlled solar powered blinds :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sad face. Solar powered blinds are £170 per blind :(

Plus there's a fancy controller module (extra £150) that i want. Have ordered one to see how they are. Solar powered would be a hell of a lot better than having to use a pole though is it £400 better?

Soldato
Sad face. Solar powered blinds are £170 per blind :(

Plus there's a fancy controller module (extra £150) that i want. Have ordered one to see how they are. Solar powered would be a hell of a lot better than having to use a pole though is it £400 better?
Work out if you actually need/want blinds on them all first we have 5 velum windows but only one blind!

Soldato
OP
Have ordered one for the en-suite as that's fairly urgent. Looking forward to having a play. Have luckily just found out that my car needs a £150 repair as opposed to a £1700 repair as the garage initially thought so that's a nice surprise. Gives me more to play with.

Annoyingly it seems that being a knob and wanting special worktops means a 4 week lead time because they order the materials from Italy, so we'll be worktopless for about a month.

Kitchen gets started on Monday

Here are some more pics :)

Finally picked up some garden furniture :)

ygpDGC8.jpg

jOhtGdk.jpg

IMo99Uv.jpg

This is about as much as i can open the door without banging the fridge. Need to buy a folding door i think. Likely have to go white as i doubt we'll find a match for the existing doors. Magnet about mid way up is strategically placed to hide a big scratch i've already made in the door!

3azucut.jpg

Appliances starting to be delivered

KaCbiva.jpg

Current kitchen

nGRrIHD.jpg

Lounge area. Might need to re-think our sofas/furniture and change things as it doesn't work great. We'll be getting rid of the fire as it's stupid.

IooYWn1.jpg

Mmmmm ashfelt flooring in the bedroom. Just what you want in the morning!

c48XZsZ.jpg

Soldato
OP
Had the wife make a bit of a list of jobs and then assign a priority to it. Pretty much everything was a 1 according to her. No help whatsoever!

XbhkPT3.jpg.png

Also new kitchen has arrived and the old one has been removed. Christ, whilst i knew granite would be heavy, i never realised just how much!

(Apologies for the sore necks some of this might cause, Imgur is being stupid and has rotated my images and won't let me adjust!)

NCCchc7.jpg

MpG8gRz.jpg

uZORXMo.jpg.png

Also have re-purposed an old bedside table into my router/home server cabinet!

xFXcrW1.jpg.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Also, i had to plane a couple of doors after the carpets were fitted. It's laughable how uneven the floors are. I wish i'd had more time/less family so i could've took all the floorboards up and leveled and laid ply.

Downstairs is the same, you feel drunk when walking from one end of the room to the other. One door has a 25mm gap when it's closed, yet it still catches the floor when opening it. It's ridiculous!

Soldato
OP
Also to add to the ridulousness of this house. The previous owners have battened and plasterboarded some walls rather than plaster the brick work. Issue being that there's no rhyme nor reason as to where this has been done so even though some walls sound solid i don't always know what i'm drilling into until i've drilled the hole. Putting a TV up the other day i had a combination of brick, wood and plasterboard to contend with all for the same mount!

I do own a stud detector but it's a cheap one from Claas Ohlson. Does anyone know if the better Bosch ones would be useful here?

Soldato
OP
Also for some hilarity for you all. When we pulled the kitchen out i asked my wifes uncle to replumb things in as the water feed comes in at the kitchen.

About an hour later someone mentioned that there was no hot water. I played around with the boiler and everything looked as expected. Took about an hour to work out that he's connected the hot and cold feeds together!

Soldato
About an hour later someone mentioned that there was no hot water. I played around with the boiler and everything looked as expected. Took about an hour to work out that he's connected the hot and cold feeds together!

:p Is he a plumber? Lol

Sounds odd having plasterboard... Means you could potentially have a bigger room? (easier to hide cables etc I guess...

Soldato
OP
Haha he is not a plumber. In his defense one of my friends had disconnected everything without marking up which was which. Luckily it all works again now!

Yeah, in the future i might look at opening up the rooms as it seems there's a lot of regular plaster and it should be lime plaster really. There's just no reason as to why t's there in some places but not others.

One bedroom wall will be plasterboarded, but then you go into the bedroom next to it and drill into the same external wall and you hit brick! I might have to invest in some of those drill bits what work in a variety of materials!

Also shout out to the guy in Screwfix who when i asked him to just get me a 10mm masonry bit, he asked what drill i had. I assumed he wanted to check the shank size but nope, he just thought you had to use a Dewalt bit in a dewalt drill!

Associate
If you have a battened cavity use it for insulation, solid brick houses get mighty cold in winter

heritage England have excellent online guides for renovation period properties without causing harm or damage

Soldato
OP
Went to get my tools out of my dads garage on Saturday and the key broke in the lock. Not helpful at all! Any ideas before i ring a locksmith?

1vz4dyH.jpg

Kitchen is coming along nicely. However the corner larder cupboard door won't close because the oven handles stick out too much. The fitter is going to look at whether he can rip the door down (it's solid ash) or whether we need to look at removing some units and fitting a filler panel. I'm VERY relieved i didn't try and tackle this myself.

ucruLVO.jpg

T7ICCXF.jpg

z3ghDAI.jpg

p4osgKM.jpg

WXRM9Gr.jpg

No idea why the previous owners put in this many spotlights!

Fv4Y1vY.jpg

Also removed the fire and have moved the TV centrally. Made much harder work than i should've to mode the sockets!

Sh4lZ7L.jpg

6ON9qVO.jpg

7nOdWpM.jpg

Back
Top Bottom