Old Gatehouse - Build Log

Soldato
OP
Holes plastered up

FXFCo6R.png

Also here's the sink, absolutely love the quality of this!

ML0i66W.png

Finally started to make use of the kitchen over the weekend after a clean so could move boxes from all over the place and put things away. The corner larder cupboard is amazing. So much space inside for stuff and nothing gets "lost" at the back as it's all so accessible.

Can see the bare wood from where the door got ripped down. Have got paint on the way from DIY Kitchens.

caXUJVJ.png

I will be changing the clocks on the oven don't worry! Just haven't seen the point as i keep turning the power off for little jobs.

Worktop guys come to fit the worktop today. My wife was laughing at me because i said i was jealous she'd get to see it before me!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
A couple reasons really.

1 - My wife dislikes gas (main reason!)
2 - Ease of cleaning
3 - I prefer the clean lines/neatness
4 - I’ve never really cooked on gas and only used induction so don’t know any better!

I would’ve probably liked one of the Neff ones which is part induction and part gas. But I’m happy with this

Soldato
OP
To be fair, most of the worktop discussions were in the other thread ("Critique my Kitchen Design")

But it's called Silestone Eternal Charcoal Soapstone

https://www.silestone.co.uk/colour/charcoal-soapstone/

If you've had any quotes for the non "Eternal" ranges, then prepare to fall off your chair. What you see there was £3300 and i tried about 15 places, battling them against each other to get the best price!

Oh and it's in the "Suede" finish. The standard finish is polished but this gives it more of a matte look/feel.

Pictures really don't do it justice though. It's incredible.

The benefit with the "Eternal" range, is that they do it in a jumbo slab which is 3.2m which means less joins. I think the standard range only comes in at 2.7m lengths so we wouldn't have been able to have the sink/induction length as one piece.

Last edited:
Associate
Cheers, it looks great.
I'm jealous as I wanted a 'nicer' worktop for our kitchen but as everything else on our extension had gone over budget I couldn't really afford to spend that kind of money on the worktop.

Soldato
OP
Tap is in and the hob is finally powered in. Also tiled the splashback area. The tiles we went for are pretty much the opposite of the worktop and contrasts it superbly. White with a grey vein look.

Hot water tap is great to use. We decided against a waste disposal in the end due to space limits in the cupboard. Only way would've been to get a Franke tap where the tank fits behind the plinths.

Just needs painting in there now :)

cD24yA1.png

LrbTKEx.png

zxL431n.png

IjXF8Dp.png

Also ordered and fitted some "Perfect Fit" blinds from Blinds 2 Go for the 2 sets of patio doors and side windows. They clip into the frame of the window and have their own rails so you can have the blinds anyway you want them. They also don't bang around when the doors are open. I'd highly recommend them :)

Soldato
Marv

Are the hob controls instant in response - ours are a bit laggy especially if wet or oily - mind you it's now 9 yrs old and I have been looking at replacing it - Does yours have the cooking area rather than dedicated rings - by that can you put the pan anywhere up either side. - Secondly what make of pans do you use - ours are Circulon but we both find then very heavy these days - I have one of those light frying pans with speckled finish but it doesn't transmit heat as good as circulon pans (it is for induction)

Anyway keep up the good work - glad my days of doing that are now over :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
Yeah the controls are pretty much instant. It works on a sliding scale from 1-14. It's hugely better than our old Bosch which was probably a similar age to yours. Can still be a bit awkward when it's wet though, but not as bad. What i do like is i can press my finger on any setting between 1 and 14 to activate it. On the old one i had a +/- button and could only move in increments.

It still has 4 "rings" but you can combine the 2 left ones and 2 right ones to make one big section. I need to buy something like a Le Crueset lasagne dish type thing to take advantage of that. The ones which let you put a pan anywhere were another bracket up.

As for pans, we generally just use Ikea ones. Although we got a set of AEG ones with the hob which feel lovely.

Soldato
Ta Marv.

Ours are +/- and have to keep stabbing +sign - saying that as soon as you turn it on it start's at number 4 - so usually up from there to 9 then boost .- How those 9 years have fled by.

Soldato
OP
Yes to both of your questions :)

I'm not sure you can still register for the 3D planning tool, but if you want to drop me a trust i can give you my login details.

Our kitchen fitter has been really impressed by the quality. He usually fits on behalf of a local shop who use "Omega" kitchens and he was shocked when he saw the order printout of just how cheap the units were in comparison. Said he's recommended them to 4 other people now.

Thanks fella, will drop you a line if I need it
I cant see any link but may not need that anyway

We are just starting the conversations now so certainly won't be for a while. I need to knock a wall through yet and then block the old doorway to convert the study to the util room.
Then we will consider if we use the same cupboards or go for a different look :)

JRJ

JRJ

Associate

Marv

Can I ask a favour, could you measure the distance from utility doorway wall to the back of the breakfast bar, and from the window wall the architrave of the door please? we will have a similar ceiling and corner like you, the wife wants a pantry unit and oven pretty much identical to what you've done, on paper the pantry unit takes up a massive amount of space and just doesn't look right but yours looks good hence comparing the dimensions.

Back
Top Bottom