• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

old laptop phenom cpu?

Soldato
i got a old laptop that has a phenom p820 cpu which is triple core highlighted in this pic below:

phenom.jpg

the kiddo uses this laptop for home learning with ms teams and it is lagging some.
going by the cpus in the chart most are cheapo from auction sites around 15 quid, which would be better for his needs?
i dunno if quad core will be better but i get the feeling the dual core with much higher clocks may be better suited for ms teams. what do you guys rekon?
also replacement cpu needs to stay in the 25w limit my current cpu is. so either a p650, or p860 or p960 are my options.

Soldato
OP
slow scrolling down in teams general slowness. its got 4gb ram and 60gb ssd. so fast at loading stuff up. youtube is slow its just like symptoms of slow cpu performance.

Soldato
OP
here you go:

hp-g62.jpg

it is a socketed cpu. i need to find the cpu support list for this laptop, im wondering if i can stick a higher wattage cpu in it like a 35w one.

Associate
here you go:

hp-g62.jpg

it is a socketed cpu. i need to find the cpu support list for this laptop, im wondering if i can stick a higher wattage cpu in it like a 35w one.
Worth a punt then I would say :). I'm sure you can resell online if it's still lagging :)

What is the voltage rated at for your mobo. Given its socket potentially suited to higher TDP. Is that defo 4gb ram too, I note one says 1gb, the other stick 2gb. What version of Windows is this on?

Last edited:
Associate
Does your son have a monitor, keyboard and mouse? I recently bought a Intel NUC for my son, daughter got upgraded to his prior Surface Pro so have a Lenovo Q190 knocking about you can have, adequate for home schooling.
It was going to be taken into a school to be repurposed.
Happy to let you have it if you can make use out of it - just will need to reuse your SSD.

Soldato
OP
Does your son have a monitor, keyboard and mouse? I recently bought a Intel NUC for my son, daughter got upgraded to his prior Surface Pro so have a Lenovo Q190 knocking about you can have, adequate for home schooling.
It was going to be taken into a school to be repurposed.
Happy to let you have it if you can make use out of it - just will need to reuse your SSD.

That would be good thanks for your generosity. I have a spare 19 inch screen and have keyboard and mouse lying about too.
Want me to cover post etc? Trust me details.

Soldato
OP
. Is that defo 4gb ram too, I note one says 1gb, the other stick 2gb. What version of Windows is this on?

Yea i changed ram stick to a spare 2gb one i had so its got 2 x 2gb in it. Its running windows 10 which i suspect is the issue. It could be the random windows updates that start on the sly and slow it down.

Associate

Postage sorted, just need to take to PO tomorrow; 1st class should be quickish. one thing also to note....sorry, I do not have a spare power adapter. Most laptop chargers will work, I was using a 19v.

Hoping the HP power lead will be compatible from your laptop chap - photo one I was using/voltage printed on the bottom of the pc below. Screws for the hard drive mount are inside the unit adhered with black tape. To get inside unit to put HDD, pull out the rubber feet to reveal the screws.

https://ibb.co/v1vFT1N

Soldato
OP
Ah thats cool should be able to pickup one of those power adapters from somewhere.

Regarding the current laptop. Would a 2.6ghz dual core be better than the current 1.8ghz triple core?

Soldato
OP
is ms teams available on linux?

im trying to find some benches of these old cpus but got a feeling its just gonna be down to ipc since these cpus are older than even bulldozer.

Associate
Ah thats cool should be able to pickup one of those power adapters from somewhere.

Regarding the current laptop. Would a 2.6ghz dual core be better than the current 1.8ghz triple core?
Royal mail were being terrible mate, said I had to come back today.
Posted today mate 1st class bud - should be with you next couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom