Old processor, graphics card upgrade?

Associate
My 5 year old PC is struggling to run things above 30fps so looking for a graphics card upgrade, potentially the ASUS ROG STRIX GTX1060 O6G.

Current specs:

AMD FX-6350 Six-core processor 4.40 GHz (OC)

16gb Mushkin Enhanced BlackLine Frostbyte

Asus Radeon R9 270X DirectCUII

500W Power Supply

120 gb SSD and 1TB HDD

Asus VG278HE LCD Monitor

Thanks for any suggestions,

Dylan

Associate
OP
Hello mate, and welcome to the forums... You should head over to the new members section and introduce yourself there, it's a fantastic community.

That said, what's your budget? Others will know better but I'd be slightly concerned about possible bottlenecking and whether your PSU was up to the task. However as far as the 1060 cards go there isn't much better than the Strix.

Thanks a lot Vidar, I am also worried about bottlenecking but thought it might just about cope with it. I am willing to spend around £700 to upgrade the rig entirely (if necessary). Ideally I want to record/stream gameplay simultaneously which my current CPU probably won't handle. Shadowplay currently works fine.

As per Vidar, what's your budget?

@Vidar although an older CPU, would a 6-core be a concern for bottlenecking?

According to TechPowerUp, your current card only draws slightly less power, personally I think your PSU would be fine. Which mobo do you have?

Thanks for the info tactical, hopefully it will just about cope! If not, Orbitalwalshs' suggestion sounds like a solid overall upgrade. I have a GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P AMD 970 + SB950 Chipset.

Back
Top Bottom