Old skool Socket A

Associate
I'm thinking for building a second computer with an old AMD Athlon XP 2000+ that I have lying around. Has anyone got any suggestions on a good motherboard to use (hopefully with some overclocking abilities). Cheers!

The A7N8X series are pretty good solid boards (I have an A7N8X Deluxe and A7N8X-X running here, both 100% stable), but I don't think they're up to extreme overclocking.

NF7-S is the king of SoA as far as I'm aware.

A friend of mine has a DFI NF2 Ultra which is still running nicely but by the sounds of it they're a bit sensitive if you push them too far.

A7N8X-VM

mATX with onboard GF4 MX graphics IIRC.

If you want to overclock it to any decent levels you'll probably want a fullsize ATX board though.

Well i would have to give the Abit NF7-SV2.0 5 stars.... had my 1700+ running 2.4Ghz for a couple of years and had my2500+ for about 9 months at 2.5Ghz.... thought i do warn you im on my third :P one blew up and killed my 1700+ JUBJUB and the other one day decided it dident want to come on any more :eek:

lol, I had my barton 2500@3200 for a while on it (2.2ghz)
i was able to get 2.4ghz out of my cpu though, though it required a lot of volts.

My Mobile Barton 2500+ Sits here as it has done for 9 months running hapily at 2.5Ghz, 1.85V running through it, tho my memory is cossair and crashes at anything below 2.9V and above 333Mhz... ah well i got a beast of a pc coming soon... tho rather than drooling over the 2GB ram.... 4800+ X2 or X1900XTX.... i find the 20" monitor exciting.... finaly replacing my trusty 17" Samtron CRT that has sereved me well since oh about 2001

Mines 1.55 Stock..... well i had SLK-900u with 80MM Delta Screemer now i have SLK-900u With 90MM ... w/e i found in a box outside it actualy cools better now.... i must admit this heatsink is brilliant

I have an NF7 and an Epox 8RDA3+, I have to say I far prefer the Epox. It has done some solid service, has always been very stable and has useful features such as being able to boot from a USB memory stick (to run freenas) which the abit board can't do.

Marc

Phil99 said:
NF7-S is the king of SoA as far as I'm aware.

Agreed.

Early NF7-S V2 to be specific...

;)

235x11.5.jpg

235 x 11.5 (2.7 Ghz)

NO voltage mods, just watercooling :)

marc mercer said:
I have an NF7 and an Epox 8RDA3+, I have to say I far prefer the Epox.

I had both, NF7 gave the above clock, 83da3+ gave a max of 2.5.... Big difference on the max fsb with the specific boards I had.

Sam C

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom