Old / Upgraded PC Kit / Components that are no longer needed - What do you guys do?

Associate
Hi guys,

I've kept a collection of old kit that really is, annoyingly, not useless but not really desirable any more either. Almost all of it is still usable and perfectly functioning but some of it is pre-2010. I don't really have a need to keep several assembled systems around me nor (just because I literally could) have a computer in every room, so really some of it could probably find a better home be it donated or recycled to make new stuff (scavenge copper / gold / etc.).

Examples of such items:
Core2 Q6600 (the best you can use in boards that don't support the Q9xxx range)
Core2 Q9400 & Q9550
Asus P5K (Intel P35 motherboard)
Asrock G41MH/USB3 (Intel G41 motherboard)
AMD Phenom X6 1100T (the last best version)
Asrock 990FX Extreme3 (could take an AMD FX chip)
DDR2/3 RAM
Radeon HD2/3/6/7 series cards
etc.
might even have an old Pentium 4 dual-core around somewhere...
etc.

ranging up to Intel Ivy Bridge (Core ix-3xxx)

Some of it I'll still keep just in case I get a failure and literally need to be able to use something until new bits arrive - as such the Ivy Bridge stuff I wouldn't be letting go of - but the rest of it some may regard as junk, whereas the Core2 Q9xxx / Phenom X6 chips easily still put in a decent shift in most apps (even some games) even now - as long as they don't need AVX (and you're not worried about power consumption / heat), so ultimately might be useful for someone somewhere...

So... where might some of this be usable? Other than ebay and flogging each separate bit (which I doubt are sought after), is there anywhere that might actually make use of this stuff?
On the other hand, what's the best way to dispose of this and be sure it's actually getting recycled and not just becoming e-waste going to a landfill or kids scavenging rubbish pile somewhere in Africa?

PS. I know some may say your local council will take it to recycle (so yeah, that's the option for the useless stuff) - I've used it to get rid of some PSU's and dead kit previously - more interested in what other options there are.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom