OLED - 34" ultrawide 1440p or 32" 4K

Caporegime
Hi team,

I currently have a Gigabyte 34" UW 1440p monitor (here) and am strongly considering a move to OLED. I like UW but have previously always had 16:9 or 16:10 so happy to move back if that's the best option. My monitor use is probably ~75% gaming, 15% intarwebz, 10% productivity (music stuff, Excel etc).

What's the prevailing wisdom on 34" UW 1440p versus 32" 4k? My choices would likely be between these two fellas:

MSI MPG 341CQPX QD-OLED 34" OLED 240Hz​

or

Samsung Odyssey OLED G8 32" 4K​

I went from the Alienware 34" UW to the Alienware 32" 4K (both OLED) and find the 4k is overall better for pretty much everything.

I sometimes miss the UW, but mostly just when playing racing games.
I play a lot of older games and they just work better with 4k. Plus browsing the internet or working from home just seems more natural.

Last edited:
Hi team,

I currently have a Gigabyte 34" UW 1440p monitor (here) and am strongly considering a move to OLED. I like UW but have previously always had 16:9 or 16:10 so happy to move back if that's the best option. My monitor use is probably ~75% gaming, 15% intarwebz, 10% productivity (music stuff, Excel etc).

What's the prevailing wisdom on 34" UW 1440p versus 32" 4k? My choices would likely be between these two fellas:

MSI MPG 341CQPX QD-OLED 34" OLED 240Hz​

or

Samsung Odyssey OLED G8 32" 4K​

I'd definitely go with 34" UW OLED, 1440p in your use case. 4K is a nightmare to drive*, and so expensive anmd I think UW gaming is more immersive.

By the way, all you're really getting with the CQPX for your extra £200 is 240HZ over 175 HZ with the cheaper CQPD. Remember both have the exact same panel.

I know where my money would go, I think this is best reasonably priced 34" UW 1440p OLED. Also and although this isn't applicable to you, the mrore expensive CQPX doesn't come with AMD Freesync Premium Pro like the cheaper model does.

* Right, 4070 Super - forget 4K then.

:D

Last edited:
OK, thanks folks that's useful. Last question: is the same size screen, same format (34" UW) a sideways move or is OLED as big a change as it appears to be from reviews etc?

Thanks.
Big change and for me the true HDR was a much bigger gain than say ray tracing.

I also switched from a 34" UW OLED to 32" 4K OLED and do prefer the slightly bigger overall screen on the 4K. Though I have a 4080 so 4070 will be using DLSS more at 4K.

Last edited:
I've got two 27" 1440p screens at the minute and thinking of getting an Alienware 34" UW as my main centre monitor, but I want to check that the actual screen size (as in the vertical height of the screen will match up with the 27" screens I already have).

I've looked everywhere but all I can find is the size of the actual screen not the image that's displayed on it. I've just measured the actual image I get from my 1440p 27" monitors and it's 335mm high, can anyone with an Alienware 34" UW please measure their image height so I can see how it compares to my current setup. Also what's the actual vertical height of a 32 4k image?? Many thanks

Back
Top Bottom