Olympic Road Cycling

Soldato
Fairly sure this isn't hotlinked...

AzOJNi_CEAAKo--.jpg

Associate
Just got back from Hampton Court. I was positioned just in front of the start ramp, so got a great view as they all set off!!

What an amazing atmosphere as the riders set up, but the volume sent up several levels when a brit set off!

Was really amazing to be there to see the union flag raised for Bradley's win!!

Soldato
Another brilliant day!

Unfortunately didn't get to Hampton Court Palace station as early as I would have liked as South West trains weren't putting on more services. Despite being a week day there were still thousands of people who had come down and it was rammed around the station.

Walked down the road and found a spot as the ladies were coming past, but it wasn't perfect due to being on a straight. I went down a little further and found a nice spot on a roundabout which had flower covered bikes to watch the men come past. After Cancellara went past, managed to get over to the other side of the course near Kingston just before Wiggo came back past. Then heard the result with the huge crowd of people, amazing!

Took a long time to queue up to get the train back into Central London, but it was worth it.

Soldato
Wiggins is an absolute machine. After pushing himself to the wall in trying to get Cavendish back to the breakaway on Saturday, he rocks up here and destroys the field in a TT yet again.

In this kind of form, hell, put him in the Vuelta, he'll win that too.

Most of the riders who were in the winning break went on the last climb of box hill.
There was a break before they got to the climb, which they were bringing back but i dont know if it was caught by the peleton before the next break went or not.
With the benefit of hindsight, GB's best bet would probably have been to get Froome and/or Millar into that main break. Neither are in Cav's class of sprinting, but they're no slouches either, and the way the race finished they could have definitely contended.

It's easy for me to say that now though. At the time, keeping everyone together looked a much better option. It just wasn't to be.

Soldato
My prediction - I think Cancellara is going to suffer from that crash, I think Froome is a bit underrated as he was phenomenal on Le Tour, so...
1) Wiggins
2) Froome
3) Martin
4) Phinney (waaaaa)
5) Cancellara

I really can't see Wiggins being beaten unless he has a mechanical issue or something similar

Nearly spot on :cool: :D

Superb ride by Wiggins, surely a favourite for the TT in the world championships this year as well, it's not as flat either so should give Froome a chance too:
http://www.limburg2012.nl/section.php?sid=items_en&items_vmd=svw&items_id=parcoursen

Interesting that there's a team TT this year as well, not sure if they've done a lot of training for it yet though

Soldato
The TTT is for trade teams, not national teams.
Still, will be good to watch, i like TTTs :)

Ah of course- near enough though!

I think it would be great to have one at the olympics, but I guess it could be difficult for some countries for numbers, but surely there's room for another road event at the olympics!

Back
Top Bottom