Olympic skier accused of cultural colonialism as he adopts puppy from dog meat farm in South Korea

Caporegime
I thought I was familiar with the general SJW lingo, but it seems there is a new one... "cultural colonialism". Yup apparently by adopting a dog and criticising the dog meat trade this American skier has committed a heinous crime.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...pts-puppy-dog-meat-farm-south-korea-triggers/

Oh and a Korean American journalist tries to downplay it by pointing out that it is *only* 30 million dogs...

cjd8ent.png

I don't really get it, it seems rather silly, I'm not outraged if a vegan wants to hold the view that meat I eat is wrong, nor am I outraged if they want to protest/highlight barbaric conditions for say battery farmed chickens, ducks being reared for foie gras etc.. (in fact I'd agree with and support them). But amusingly the current trend of identity politics turns this rather innocent tweet about a guy adopting/rescuing a dog and sharing his views on the dog meat trade into a thing people are supposed to call out as though he's done something bigoted.

Caporegime
OP
That's basically why I don't criticise things like bull fighting. Yes it's barbaric and an odd way to get enjoyment, but I eat meat and therefore actively participate in things like battery farming.

I eat meat too but I'm not interested in(and oppose) bull fighting. I don't see why that is hypocritical.

I'm not a fan of battery farming either (AFAIK it isn't used in the UK anymore though barn hens aren't much better).

Humans have co-evolved with dogs, the modern day dog's existence is as companion for humans - I would see eating them as rather different to say eating beef or chicken.

I also don't see a conflict between eating meat and wanting animals to be treated as humanely as possible/objecting to animals being killed simply for entertainment or sport.

Caporegime
OP
Yes it is easy money as then people like OP go around sharing saying 'what is this world coming too' and then their friends sharing it. Now you have thousands and thousands of hits for a pointless article over one stupid tweet. I wonder if the anti-sjw people will ever realise they are getting completely played by online media who are raking in the hits.

I think perhaps you're a bit naive about this, the narrative is hardly just confined to social media. See for example the latest Labour Party appointment - their new LGBTQ advisor and her views on "white people".

This stuff is now mainstream, while it no doubt serves the interest of people on the left who are in denial about this new focus on identity politics being a problem to dismiss this stuff as just a few people on social media the reality is rather different. As amusing as some of the stories are these people/views are very real and they're having an impact beyond social media.

Caporegime
OP
Perhaps in the West, it seems Koreans just see the animal as a potential source of meat just like any other animal.

Not just in the West but Asia too. Those are domesticated dogs, they've co-evolved with humans. If you want an example of the more feral types then see wolves, hyenas etc... this isn't about how Korean see them today but a point about how they've evolved over thousands of years. The dog pictured is an example of an animal that has co-evolved over thousands of years with humans as a companion not an animal that has been bread to be farmed for meat over that time. (I believe they do now have some dogs bread for meat/farming but even still that is breeding something that has had thousands of years of evolving as a companion.)

Caporegime
OP
Outrage about outrage. Please, see the hypocrisy. Both these 'SJW' types and the angry Daily Mailer fist-shakers over here are minorities making a lot of noise and seem to forget that there's a majority in the middle that don't care much for their nonsense.

Outrage about outrage about outrage... Please, see the irony.

Outrageception... can I be outraged about you being outraged about people being outraged about the outrage on twitter?

Caporegime
OP
I'm not outraged, I'm just bored of millions on threads that are posted on here about what two people said on twitter. Then we get the same responses in every thread. 'what is this coming too' '********* generation' blah blah. It doesn't help that these threads are then just echo chambers for the same posters to say the same things each time, most other people can't be bothered to post.

I don't think many people are actually outraged at the SJW types either...

These threads usually aren't, usually there are people like you who come into the thread to complain about it existing (as anticipated by the tags at the top of the thread)... when you could just read some other threads instead, or go and create the sort of threads you'd like to see etc..

Back
Top Bottom