Olympic Track Cycling

Associate
Hoy didn't seem to agree with the UCI change of rules when discussing it with Lineker earlier. It does seem odd that you're basically limiting the best in the world from competing.

I.e. Imagine the 100m final with only 1 competitor from the US and Jamaica? They're just upset Britain are actually good at a sport!

Sadly this happens in other Olympic events as well. There was an American gymnast who was fourth in the overall standings but didn't qualify for the final even though the top 20 or so qualified because two Americans placed before her and the final is limited to two gymnasts per country. Table tennis has a similar system as well where many of the top players are not even competing because they are all Chinese. Pretty sure the road cyclists weren't allowed to compete on the track as well because they had to do at least one world cup event or something as well.

All in all, it's pretty dumb that the World Championship has better competition.

Soldato
Pretty sure the road cyclists weren't allowed to compete on the track as well because they had to do at least one world cup event or something as well.

That's a different issue. You need to meet certain standards to be able to qualify for the track cycling. None of our road riders have ridden track events in the past few years, so they dont have any times against the qualifying standards and, therefore, cant qualify.

There were riders who did both the road race and some track races. Bourgain of France, for example.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yesterday was the first time I have seen Chris Hoy in track cycling action.
There is only one word to describe him. BEAST!

The guy would hit the front, have people slip streaming him and they still can't catch him. WTF?

Theoretically, assuming that Chris Hoy is only marginally more powerful than the cyclist drafting him, the cyclist behind him should be able to overtake him every time. But from what I saw yesterday, Chris Hoy has much more power than the rest of the field. And when I say more power, I mean a considerable amount of extra power.

When drafting, I believe that you expend 30% less energy. So how on Earth is Hoy able to expend the extra energy and not be passed?

Yesterday was the most powerful piece of track cycling I have seen.

Chris Hoy. you BEAST!

Caporegime
Agreed.

He also seems to run at 90% all the time, able to just switch on the afterburners when needed, like he did in theast bend of the final or the keirin.

Soldato
Yesterday was the first time I have seen Chris Hoy in track cycling action.
There is only one word to describe him. BEAST!

I'v never seen him that good before.
He's been a very strong sprinter for a long time. He would never have any problem coming round the entire field in the last half lap and winning.

I'v never seen him (or anyone, for that matter) take on the sprint so early and stay on the front right to the end.
The german guy who came along beside him, and even got slightly in front at one point, could only hold that pace for about half a lap before he faded back. Hoy kept that up for over 3 laps!
It probably looked like a close race to the general public who dont know a lot about cycling, but thats the most dominant i'v ever seen Hoy.

Soldato
The german guy who came along beside him, and even got slightly in front at one point, could only hold that pace for about half a lap before he faded back. Hoy kept that up for over 3 laps!

When I saw that German rider nose ahead, I thought, "thats it, Hoy's lost". Then I saw the Hoy accelerate a little, while the German decelerated and I thought, "this is impossible".

What I saw yesterday was someone almost defy the laws of nature.

I'd love to see a comparison of the leading riders in the World and their peak power output. Hoy must be significantly ahead of the rest.

Perhaps someone who is really "into" track cycling can comment?

Associate
When I saw that German rider nose ahead, I thought, "thats it, Hoy's lost". Then I saw the Hoy accelerate a little, while the German decelerated and I thought, "this is impossible".

What I saw yesterday was someone almost defy the laws of nature.

I'd love to see a comparison of the leading riders in the World and their peak power output. Hoy must be significantly ahead of the rest.

Perhaps someone who is really "into" track cycling can comment?

He's almost certainly not got the highest power output, you'd have to look at the lead off guys for the team sprint. I suspect Forstemann might have that crown :D

Back
Top Bottom