Onboard Intel i12-19v Problems - better to get an add-on card?

Associate
Hi

i'm not sure if I will be asking stupid questions but never been good with internet/network stuff.

Have had regular problems with internet and have feeling that some or all of it is being caused by my motherboard Ethernet which as in title is Intel i19-12v. My speeds through 4g wireless router (connected via ethernet cable to a Huawei 4gee box) are generally good but now and again the speeds are up and down or really rubbish.
Checking the Intel software today it failed on the 'Interrupt status'. I'm not sure what this actually means or how important it is. When I googled this another person had recently posted this problem on the Intel forum which Intel said they recognised this problem and were going to work on an update.

Now, as say I do not know much about this stuff but am getting Fibre in a few days and am wondering if the problems i've been having regularly with speeds are to do with the onboard Intel Ethernet and whether this same situation will continue so -

- should I get an ethernet add-on card
- If I do with a pcie card will it work okay with my i9 9900k and B360-f motherboard (enough lanes? etc)?
- Does having an add-on card cause latency increase or affect internet speed.

Really appreciate peoples help on this.

Thanks for replies. I have been attempting to update the Intel drivers (from the Intel website) by either the pro set utility or the standalone driver but for some reason after stating the driver updated successfully the driver version and date have not changed. I have tried several times but to no avail.

Regarding the 4gee box being the problem is hard to determine as most of time it works perfectly fine as does my internet on the whole but now and again (say once a month for a few days) it will fluctuate and drop to an unusable speed.

After I switch to Fibre on Monday and if this problem persists is it a good idea to buy a add-on pcie lan card, will it be slower than using onboard and is there anything I need to know please?

Thanks Rainmaker.

The plan says 'fibre Plus' and best speed expected is 74mbps. It's coming from overhead line into house if that helps determine what type (feel really stupid not knowing).

Why I asked about whether an add-on card affecting speed is I gather the i9 9900k and my b360 has a limited number of lanes it can have used at one time.

Back
Top Bottom