One 24" or two 20"?

Associate
Im going to be studying computer games design for uni and will be focusing on art and design so I was wondering weather the extra 4" is worth the purchase?

This what Ive put it down to:

One of these:
http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-009-DE

Code:
- 1920 x 1200 (WUXGA+) Optimum Resolution
- 16.7 Million Colours
- 1000:1 Contrast Ratio
- 6ms Response Time
- 450 cd/m2 Brightness
- One DVI-D Input w/HDCP Support
- One Analogue Input
- One S-Video Input
- One Composite Input
- One Component Input
- Height adjustable stand (100mm travel)
- VESA mounting compatible / Security slot : Yes (100mm) / Yes
- Integrated powered USB 2.0 hub : 4 downstream / 1 upstream ports
- Integrated powered 9-in-2 Card Reader
- Revision A04
- Warranty : 4 year next business day exchange supplied by Manufacturer (Call Dell on 0870 9080800 and have the work number from the original packaging handy)

Or two of these:
http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-051-SA&groupid=17&catid=510&subcat=

Code:
- Viewable Area: 20” Widescreen (1680x1050 Resolution)
- Interface: Analog / Digital
- Response Time: 2ms
- 16.7M Colours
- Contrast Ratio: 3000:1
- Viewing Angle (H/V): 160°/ 160°
- Brightness: 300cd/m2
- 3 Years On-Site Warranty with Samsung

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom.

Associate
For any development work i'd recommended a dual screen setup, and i can vouch for samsung, thats a quality monitor. They make great screens.

Can't comment on the Dell but apparantly its a solid performer! :)

Soldato
I was using 2 Iiyama 17" 1280x1024 monitors for a few years. But I am wondering if the higher resolution and widescreen monitors negate the need for dual screen to an extent? e.g. Photoshop is a lot more workable on 1680x1050, but switching between progs on one monitor is still a hinderance. :s

Associate
This is my setup with two 20" monitors:

Computer%20002.JPG

I would advise having a dual monitor setup, it is simply amazing, and the amount of work you can do on it is just great. Since I started using a dual monitor setup a few years ago, I have never wanted to go back to just using a single monitor. :p (However large it is).

Angus Higgins

Associate
OP
Thanks again, my mind is set :).
I mainly asked because I've seen a lot of people buy these largers screens and dont understand why they prefer to pay out the cash for a few more inch space when they can buy a new monitor for the same price.

Chears again to all!

Edit:
Just a quick question: will dual screen effect performance?

Associate
I'd recommend UltraMon, for the dual screen thing, though I have to say, personally, of two smaller (lower res) monitors versus a substantial upgrade in resolution (as I run at 1600x1200 currently), I would go for the 24".

But as you say, for design work I'd use dual screen any day, the reason I'd go for a single larger screen is for gaming and such, which I find less immersive with a bezel style break in the midst of the action.

When I program I have a second monitor, but I don't have a larger, better screen yet.

Soldato
Jeeva said:
But as you say, for design work I'd use dual screen any day, the reason I'd go for a single larger screen is for gaming and such, which I find less immersive with a bezel style break in the midst of the action.

You play games over dual screens? That would be odd. I only play games on one of my monitors as the bit in the middle would annoy me. Another vote for dualies tho, here is my setup (2x dell 2007wfp).

Desklayout07012007.jpg

However if you're going to be able to afford it later on, buy a 24" now and buy another one in a couple of months?

Suspended
I'd rather go with a single high quality monitor, rather than two (unless just using it for Windows, email etc) and not gaming or Photoshop.

Noticed Dell prices have crept up this week. :confused:

Soldato
i've done a lot of games design usin 3DS, photochopping, HL2's hammer editor etc as well as plenty of C++ and HTML at uni over the years and i have to say, i found it a bit easier using just 1 tft most of the time.

I used to have 2 sammy 913N's and as awesome as they were, especially for multi-tasking (3ds open on one, photoshop or a spec on the other to keep refering to or making alterations on), i just found i got on better with just the 1 screen, mainly cos the kind of stuff i was doing wasnt demanding enough that it required 2 monitors

now day's ive still got a 913N (that i hope to upgrade at some point) but have also settled for a 720p projector to go with it lol. just generally works better for me now :)

It may be different for your course though

Last edited:
Associate
i go for one monitor now... although it depends on what sort of software you will be using, i went from dual 19" 4:3 TFT's to one 20" widescreen monitor, now looking to go for a single 24" widescreen... going for the BenQ one though rather than the DELL i think.

Back
Top Bottom