Online Courses/Books (ROR/PHP)

Soldato
Harrow.

I'm a student, on my placement year. I'm currently working as a designer/front-end dev, but I've decided I want to change and be a backend dev. I've got a fair bit of experience with PHP and Ruby and some very basic ROR experience, but no qualifications or official training.

Are there any recognised courses I can do at home for these? Hopefully providing a qualification? I want to do both ideally, keep my options open and build on my knowledge of both.

True, but teaching yourself leads to bad habits IMO. I'd rather learn from a recognised source.

Thats half the problem. There isn't really a "recognised" source of information that won't be wrong half the time. The web moves very quickly and there are different schools of though on a lot of things.

Academia tends to lag quite a way behind the cutting edge technologies so most people learn from a number of sources. Its a process that never really stops and to learn good habits for everything would keep you writing very simple stuff for a very long time.

You learn as you go and you learn as you make mistakes.

True, but teaching yourself leads to bad habits IMO. I'd rather learn from a recognised source.

Doing something the wrong way is how you learn half the time! :)

Get some books, Apress have always been pretty good for me. Also there are plenty video tutorial sites also.

Cheers guys. I thought as much. Basically I just want a complete beginners course, whether it be in a book a a series of web tutorials, what I'm after ideally is your recommendations. There must be people in the same boat who've gone through this kinda situation?

Also, any info about running ROR/SQLite and PHP/MySQL alongside each other on the same box would be cracking.

Back
Top Bottom