Opening up API

Soldato
Ok where to start....Maybe a little background

We need to sort out our vehicle trackers so are looking into TomTom Telematics. We use a call centre to make 1000+ calls to our clients a day and those requesting a pickup then get text to the drivers phone in a job lot when they start. This leads to errors when transferring details from phone to paperwork.

With TomTom Telematics we are able to send the jobs direct to the SatNav unit which should stop any errors/missed collections.

After speaking to TomTom they said if we go with their system they will open up their API so we can intergrate that with our call centres system.

What does this entail? ( in laymans terms if you can)
I was kinda hoping that the call centres system (bespoke system created in house but is on the cards for a complete rewrite) could just write to a CSV or similar and then send to the drivers units.

Anyone have ANY Ideas. I dont want to commit to 40+ units and then not be able to intergrate

Cheers

Soldato
I haven't seen the API but would assume it would just be looking for a Unit number (the tomtom) and a location. I would assume your system already outputs the location and a driver ID for the text.

So it would probably be the case of a new script to take the output of your system and then send the location/tomtom ID and a API access token to tomtom servers to take care of the rest.

Should be fairly easy to implement. The only issue I can see would be is linking the tomtom IDs to the drivers.

Edit: is it the Webfleet API?

Soldato
OP
I haven't seen the API but would assume it would just be looking for a Unit number (the tomtom) and a location. I would assume your system already outputs the location and a driver ID for the text.

So it would probably be the case of a new script to take the output of your system and then send the location/tomtom ID and a API access token to tomtom servers to take care of the rest.

Should be fairly easy to implement. The only issue I can see would be is linking the tomtom IDs to the drivers.

Edit: is it the Webfleet API?
Yes the Webfleet API.

The collections are manually inputted as an account code and sent to a specific round number into an text.

Soldato
Yeah looking at the API it seems you'd be able to do what you want. Might be nicer to build a gui to replace your current SMS one then have a list of completed/pending jobs next to it.

The examples show it being driven by a database rather than csv. If your system gets rewritten you could look at automating the process save any mistakes when entering details.

Soldato
OP
Yeah looking at the API it seems you'd be able to do what you want. Might be nicer to build a gui to replace your current SMS one then have a list of completed/pending jobs next to it.

The examples show it being driven by a database rather than csv. If your system gets rewritten you could look at automating the process save any mistakes when entering details.

Thanks

At least that confirms the ability to do what we want. BUT. I haven't the faintest Idea where we start. To be honest I haven't a clue what an API is either.

Is this something we need a 3rd party program for that converts what we send into something that TomTom understand or is is simpler than that.

Soldato
Thanks

At least that confirms the ability to do what we want. BUT. I haven't the faintest Idea where we start. To be honest I haven't a clue what an API is either.

Is this something we need a 3rd party program for that converts what we send into something that TomTom understand or is is simpler than that.

An API is basically a set of predefined operations that allow you to easily(relatively) use another platforms features from your own software. I.e. You want to send a job, instead of creating your own infrastructure to communicate with tomtom devices directly you'd send tomtom a specific message which they would then process using their own infrastructure. Hopefully that makes sense.

You'd want a programmer for this really your in-house coders may be up to the task or go third party. There does seem to be companies out there that have already set up interfaces for it but I can't vouch for their legitimacy or efficiency http://www.telematicsuk.com/solutions/tomtom-webfleet/job-dispatch/ .

Soldato
OP
An API is basically a set of predefined operations that allow you to easily(relatively) use another platforms features from your own software. I.e. You want to send a job, instead of creating your own infrastructure to communicate with tomtom devices directly you'd send tomtom a specific message which they would then process using their own infrastructure. Hopefully that makes sense.

You'd want a programmer for this really your in-house coders may be up to the task or go third party. There does seem to be companies out there that have already set up interfaces for it but I can't vouch for their legitimacy or efficiency http://www.telematicsuk.com/solutions/tomtom-webfleet/job-dispatch/ .

Thats much clearer now..thanks

Cheers for the info. I'll pass it on to our call centre and their IT guys see if we can push this thing along

Back
Top Bottom