operation lack of ability

Associate
so having moved into my partners and utilizing the junk room as an ad-hoc office ive finally decided after 3 months and no days off that tomorrow is the day I do something with it.

plan of action

edit - step 0 - strip the room of everything and dump it in the landing at 11 oclock at night so when the kids wake up they'll not be able to move - CHECK.

step 1 - laminate the floor , it previously consisted of industrial carpet , of which is now rolled up in preparation , will rip the spongy underlay up etc tomorrow , have proper stuff or so I think to go under the new flooring

step 2 - build wall to wall desk , approx. 1.6m in width and god knows what in depth , ill measure the wall tomorrow at two points and approximate the depth id need , monitor is going to be on stand etc so will need to be comfy. as Ive previously come a cropper in the past as walls are never straight lol.

step 3 - hang the blinds , ive a lengthy but narrow crevis window , that's a bain for evening sunlight in the summer.

step 4 - ive numerous motherboards with CPU's in socket from previous builds , both that hold meaning and those ive bought and tinkerd with , from barton chips and board , Athlon 6000+ and 939 sockets , to more current z97 and AM1 boards and CPU's . these will be mounted into a collage of boards across the back facing wall.

step 5 -Shelving is a must , as god knows why maybe I'm a freak but I love to display boxes LOL , makes me think I'm important or something . so two long sitting shelves under the window.

BUDGET - £25 , Homebase is closing down so fingers crossed I can get some hardwood cheap , including plasterboard fixings for the boards , possibly extra screws , trim for the laminate ( already have the flooring )

CONCERNS - I'm cack at anything remotely DIY , the missus is the man of the house in this regard , and shes addimant itll look naff. ive enlisted my pal to give us a hand and make sure I don't **** up to badly , but I do imagine what I'm thinking of in my head wont be the end result .

CAVEATS - there is some decorating to do , and hole filling to do , I will blitz on with the filler first thing tomorrow , and as for the painting well , there white walls so wont look to hideous but this will have to wait for another day . I do plan on updating this thread for aslong as it takes to get to the point of perfection , or at least what bob the bodger is capable of

https://imgur.com/OeHQFKn
OeHQFKn
OeHQFKn.jpg
this is the back window , the shelves will sit underneath and blinds fitted

this is the entrance the box room / my new real soon to be probebrly will look pants office

this is the wall to the right of the window and will be where I place to build the desk

this is the wall where I plan to place the mobo collage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAY 1 -

So excited and after little sleep , 8 oclock arrives , kids wake up to go to school and I crack on … you can thank gary ''the pal" for that

First things first , lay the laminate , armed with a saw of some kind ,scissors , a tacking hammer and my ingenui... idiocy. I go to work hacking with scissors at the underlay till I get a rough but snug fit... you be the judge

armed with thou saw and thou might to succeed , I crack on laying the laminate in a brick formation , hoping the one youtube video I watched doing this pays off , like having total recall being high on NZT.

half way through I reach the conclusion that it looks semi cack , I mean it looks like a floor , but some gaps between panels and skirting are to much to bare... so thick beading is on the to buy list. fill the gaps with off cuts to keep it tight and hide all my mistakes with beading being something that must be done

an hour later , the floor is complete with all my lovely bodges , including one im particularly proud off …

cutting down a board that long with a crappy saw is hell , but Hey , nothing an extra large threshold cant sort down the road... Dohh ! With the flooring done , and 3 hours later , '' My Pal '' arrives right on cue to take the **** … fair play I suppose , I convinced him it could be cleaned up and we ran straight to homebase …

I acquired enough beading 3 lengths , you tell me in measurements I have no clue. give me voltage regulation data all day long over a tape measure . also cable tacks to run an extension to the opposite side of the room over the skirting. oh and a shelf , singular , nor plural like planned. total cost = #26 quid … pound over budget.

luckily ''my pal'' was very gracious in providing a spare piece of boarding for the desk and various bits and pieces of timber. not very often you have friends like that imo. just an FYI he guided me every step of the way and taught me a fair amount today . consistently letting me do the work at his instruction . perfect really.

next up , finding the joists and screwing support to the walls , as you can see this took several attempts … good old knocking on a wall... waiting for a dense sound that may as well have came from my head. luckily here we succeeded and alas they were fastened

the frame now comes together , bracing and strengthen where possible but whilst also trying to add facias underneath where the lip of the top will be to make it look neat , clean and tidy.

next up we do the beading and make sure we are gap free... and we are !! Yay

next up was to mount build a wee box in the back to hide the cables and power adapters , mount the board, sealent the sides with pine seal , and install the Pute… we are actually looking good right now … I cant believe it !!

So next up we crack on with the shelving and blinds , I thought white shelving would be better off here , and I was right. looks good , few boxes displayed and the rest popped into the loft.
No spirit bubbles , here …. seems level , stuff doesn't fall... satisfied !! . as you can see , its not where I planned but figured it looked better here

now the blinds... the missus came home and corrected me by showing me the same blinds in the bedroom .. I literally stud there for half an hour and could I heck work out why the clips wouldn't fit round the frame … turns out they sit in recess I couldn't or wouldn't see. I screwed them into the blinds rather then clipping , problem solved , and proceeded to mount then blinds to the ceiling , mission success

I also decided now was the time to start fitting boards to the wall , and actually I think it looks rather good with good spacing , theres more to go on here , but ran out of plasterboard fixings, obviously using the pre manufactured standoff points , making life easy to line up and fix. more will go up soon and will update accordingly. also brought in a couple of shelving units to put tools and bits and bob on that I often use , IPA , compressed air , hardware etc.

so a clean down of everything , and chair fitted in etc , everything squared away , finally finishing at 5ish today. heres pictures of the overall finish , I do plan to carry this thread on and update it as I have other plans such as RGB led floor lighting , mounting my projector , adding more shelving and polishing the entire thing off , I genuinlly do feel slightly proud of myself , and is actually a pleasure to sit and work in as off this evening . well here you go.

Last edited:
Soldato
Following. On the one hand I feel for you as I'm experienced with DIY although not exactly king of neatness.

On the other hand I want to see how bad you can fail :D

Obvs happy to give any advice needed.

Soldato
Not bad for a day's work! Very impressed with neatness and the excellent floating desk.

It might be worth making an Imgur gallery or re-doing the images so they embed into the thread. Have to click each link individually right now, but it's be great to scroll through all of them.

Good going mate!

Associate
OP
Not bad for a day's work! Very impressed with neatness and the excellent floating desk.

It might be worth making an Imgur gallery or re-doing the images so they embed into the thread. Have to click each link individually right now, but it's be great to scroll through all of them.

Good going mate!

thankyou very much , I tried to embed them last night with the IMG bb codes , it shows me theres an image but doesn't display it , just a little x img icon , so I gave up with it , tried numerous ways , ill revist the page after work and see if I can re do the images, pain in the perverbial I know .

Soldato
QlWsnhz.jpg

I've been able to embed one of your images. It's a hack because I don't see any place on imgur you can share the image itself, just the post.

However, the hack is pretty simple: take the full imgur address for the post, stick i. before imgur.com and put .jpg at the very end. So for example...

https://imgur.com/QlWsnhz

becomes

https://i.imgur.com/QlWsnhz.jpg

Put that new address in the img BBCode and you're set, but I don't know how to resize and the pics might end up being too big and ticking off a mod somewhere.

Hope this helps, and love the tidy up of the room. Fancy coming and doing mine?

Soldato
My pics from Imgur always end up mahoosive. I click the image, then I think it's share and then "get share URL". I use the bottom left of 4 and I chop the "" tags off.

Room looks ace and I am jealous :o

Associate
OP
https://i.imgur.com/QlWsnhz.jpg

Put that new address in the img BBCode and you're set, but I don't know how to resize and the pics might end up being too big and ticking off a mod somewhere.

Hope this helps, and love the tidy up of the room. Fancy coming and doing mine?

You sir are a legend . been bugging me since the creation of this thread. so updated the posts , ive kept them in spoilers as not to annoy any mods . but at least there embedded now . spot on ! ... that's it befor hand it was just a junk room , will update a picture of the original room so we have a point of reference

My pics from Imgur always end up mahoosive. I click the image, then I think it's share and then "get share URL". I use the bottom left of 4 and I chop the "" tags off.

Room looks ace and I am jealous :o
spot on mate , its turned out very well I'm very happy .

SO next up and ready for dispatch are 5m worth of RGB leds , and a cheap ceiling mount for the projector which will display an image roughly 40 inches in diameter above the soundbar for some extra screen sexiness... next thing to order is a 10m cheapo hdmi 1.0 lead. projector only 480p but is perfect for the footy and or second screen apps .

Back
Top Bottom