Opinions on the Sigma APO 100-300mm f4 EX IF HSM

• Thread starter Deleted member 11679
  • Start date

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

Just after known opinions about this lens, particularly when weighed up against the Canon 70-200mm F/4?

Still trying to decide the best zoom lens for my budget for Motorsport. This, coming in at just over £500 would be my very upper limit.

All comments welcome,

Tom

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

OP
Slime101 said:
No differnce apart from a lens coating - not worth the extra.

I have the non DG version and its sharp, quick focussing and a joy to use. Its really not that heavy considering what it is. The only drawback is the 82mm filter thread on the front, bit of a beast!! :p

A lens coating that costs £100 :eek: Is there meant to be a performance increase by having DG?

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

OP
xolotl said:
Its debatable. The DG coating supposedly reduced reflections caused by the shinyness of digital sensors.

The DGs do sometime have other differences, for example the DG version of te 120-300 has a much improved tripod mount.

But on this lens its not seen as to essential...?

I'd rather spend the money on a 1.4x extender if the difference is going to be very little!

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

OP
bigNeil said:
Hi Tom,

This is my first telephoto, so don't have anything to compare it to. Bought one second hand in July 05 and very happy with the results, sharp, easy to hand hold (better on a monopod - see dolphin gallery), superfast focussing. TBH, not that happy with results when using a 1.4x TC (the Sigma one).

A couple of galleries taken with it, Sailing:
http://www.sonas.plus.com/chanonryregatta05/

Dolphins:
http://www.sonas.plus.com/dolphinphotos/

Cheers for the link, really liking the quality output that I have seen from this lens so far...am starting to come round that an extra 100mm at the top end of things will definately be handy for Motorsport.

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

OP
Brycheiniog said:
I also have this lens, and have found it excellent. I would give you some examples, but pbase appears to be down at the moment :(.

I also have the 1.4xTC and have found that it works pretty well as long as the shutter speed is kept high enough. I can hand hold the lens at 300mm & 1/320 ok, but with the TC at 420mm I find I need to be closer to 1/800 to get consistently sharp shots.

Jonathan

Is yours the DG or Non-DG version? Example photo's would be excellent :)

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

OP
Fantastic looking images Brycheiniog, your really not helping with me resisting buying this lens now!! ;)

Must save...must save.

Back
Top Bottom