• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Opteron Questions (Can't find on google)

Associate
Alrite guys, gonna upgrade from the 939 3700+ to some kind of dual core 939

what is the difference between 1 way opterons and 1-2 way opterons?

another possibility is to get an sli mobo with dual cpu's - keep the 3700+ and find another one with the same stepping and o.c. both of these and keep them constantly at 2.8ghz. problem is i keep finding the board im looking for but im worried about the kind of support there is for it?

or i could just buy a toledo x2 - or at a stretch buy a conroe c2d?

Any thoughts? :confused:

Associate
OP
ive seen with my own eyes dual processor 939 board!

but the question was what is a 1-2 way opteron processor?

i wouldnt mind upgrading to a 940 board or a 775 but i need to know about the 1-2 way thing, does it mean that it caches read and write or *** is the craic with it?

cheers!

Man of Honour
There are Opteron 1xx series for both socket 939 and socket 940 (not to be confused with AM2 which is also 940 pins).

The Opteron 1xx series for socket 940 will fit in socket 940 boards, the Opteron 1xx series for socket 939 will fit in socket 939 boards.

The Opteron 2xx series are for socket 940 dual processor boards and two way is cos they are effectively dual processors.

Socket 939 Opterons are available in both single core (14x, 15x) and dual core (16x, 17x, 18x) versions and are pretty much identical to their Athlon 64/X2 equivalents. The same applies to socket 940 Opterons which again are available in both single core and dual core versions (numbering convention is identical, i.e. a 265 is a dual core processor).

The main difference between socket 940 and 939 is that 940 requires registered ECC memory while 939 requires unbuffered non-ECC or ECC memory.

Last edited:
Soldato
SGCWill said:
ive seen with my own eyes dual processor 939 board!

but the question was what is a 1-2 way opteron processor?

i wouldnt mind upgrading to a 940 board or a 775 but i need to know about the 1-2 way thing, does it mean that it caches read and write or *** is the craic with it?

cheers!

I think your confusing dual processor with dual core?

2 way opterons like the other guy said are for dual cpu... (different from dual core) which iirc is only s940

Associate
OP
i.e you would need a 2 way opteron to run 2 processors,
1-4 way for 1 or 4 opterons
1-8 way for 1 or 8 opterons

and i retract my previous 939 dual cpu statment. i stand; a moron.

going for the this week only (24/10/06) x2 toledo.

Cheers for the help!

Back
Top Bottom