Associate
Hi everyone, I just bought 2 new 120mm fans for my pc as I was going to create a push pull configuration for my 240mm radiator. However I wanted to check with you guys on here that my fans in the optimal positions. I currently have 2 front intake fans that push air though my radiator into my pc. Then I have two exhaust fans (one on the top of my case and one on the rear of the case).
Was just wondering if adding those 2 extra fans to pull air into the case though the radiator would help much or would it be better to place them near my PSU pulling air up from the bottom of my pc into the case?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sam

Caporegime
you need more air pushing in than being pulled out (Positive air pressure? I can never remember which is which google it)

or you will end up with every tiny gap in your case sucking in dust

Associate
Hi everyone, I just bought 2 new 120mm fans for my pc as I was going to create a push pull configuration for my 240mm radiator. However I wanted to check with you guys on here that my fans in the optimal positions. I currently have 2 front intake fans that push air though my radiator into my pc. Then I have two exhaust fans (one on the top of my case and one on the rear of the case).
Was just wondering if adding those 2 extra fans to pull air into the case though the radiator would help much or would it be better to place them near my PSU pulling air up from the bottom of my pc into the case?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sam
What case have you got?

Caporegime
btw heat rises so air intakes should ideally be lower than the exhaust fans or you could be sucking out cool air and pushing in warm air :p

Associate
OP
you need more air pushing in than being pulled out (Positive air pressure? I can never remember which is which google it)

or you will end up with every tiny gap in your case sucking in dust
btw heat rises so air intakes should ideally be lower than the exhaust fans or you could be sucking out cool air and pushing in warm air :p
yeah I have that all set up correct, i more wanted to know
If I should use a push pull AIO configuration rather than just a push configuration in my low front air flow case?

Soldato
Some may recommend not drawing air through the radiator into the case, warming up the components inside. I have never owned an AIO cooler so it hasn't been something for me to consider.

My case has two front fans which suck in the cool air through a dust filter. I have two exhaust fans - one at the top of the back and the other at the back of the top - next to each other. I set up my fan speeds in the BIOS to ensure the PC was always pulling in more air than the exhaust fans could expel - as @arknor mentioned, creating positive pressure inside the case.

You can test for positive pressure with smoke (extinguished match or incense stick maybe?) or I just dangled a piece of thread against an opening in the case. If the smoke/thread is drawn into the case, you have negative pressure so the case will suck in dust through gaps/openings. If the smoke/thread is pushed away from the opening, you know you have positive pressure.

Associate
OP
Some may recommend not drawing air through the radiator into the case, warming up the components inside. I have never owned an AIO cooler so it hasn't been something for me to consider.

My case has two front fans which suck in the cool air through a dust filter. I have two exhaust fans - one at the top of the back and the other at the back of the top - next to each other. I set up my fan speeds in the BIOS to ensure the PC was always pulling in more air than the exhaust fans could expel - as @arknor mentioned, creating positive pressure inside the case.

You can test for positive pressure with smoke (extinguished match or incense stick maybe?) or I just dangled a piece of thread against an opening in the case. If the smoke/thread is drawn into the case, you have negative pressure so the case will suck in dust through gaps/openings. If the smoke/thread is pushed away from the opening, you know you have positive pressure.
Ok that helps a lot thanks, my case only has 4 spaces for fans, 2 of them are at the front and my AIO has to go there, I’ve been looking at new cases recently. Does anyone have any opinions on the Lian Li lancool 2 mesh? Thanks

Caporegime
If I should use a push pull AIO configuration rather than just a push configuration in my low front air flow case?
you could always try it sometimes what you think will mess up the airflow and make things worse doesn't always do that.

ideally you don't want anything warm like a radiator directly where your air intakes are.

it cools the radiator sure but then the radiator heats the air thats about to reach your GPU.

you might get a 2-3c cooler CPU but a 5c+ hotter GPU out of it.

Associate
OP
you could always try it sometimes what you think will mess up the airflow and make things worse doesn't always do that.

ideally you don't want anything warm like a radiator directly where your air intakes are.

it cools the radiator sure but then the radiator heats the air thats about to reach your GPU.

you might get a 2-3c cooler CPU but a 5c+ hotter GPU out of it.
Yes true, I was looking at the Lian Li lancool mesh 2 and this case seems to have very good airflow for all components.

Associate
Corsair 4000d airflow can be had for £60, 4000x for £80 if you want the front 3 rgb fans. If you want a bit more depth the 5000d can be had for £100 which gives option of fitting another 3 fans down the side for 6 intake
The lancool 2 mesh also has good airflow for £96. It won gamernexus thermal case of the year for stock case etc. The corsair cases only come with single front fan and rear fan, but for £60, the 4000d airflow(not the one with solid plastic front), s/b cheaper even after buying some fans.
Before going down the new case route, just give the intake on the front of your h500 a clean as those that have it saying it can get clogged with dust fairly quickly..I'm sure a push pull config on front will increase airflow so should help thermals a bit..seems from reviews having 2 front fans by itself doesn't make much of a difference, so adding 2 more can only be a bonus

Back
Top Bottom