Organising Mp3's into one folder?

Associate
After a fair few years of collecting music, I've got thousands of tracks on my harddrive, But they're all scattered around the place meaning its bloody hard to find a single track that I want.

Are there any freeware programs that will organise them all into one folder? I know Itunes does/did it, But its not working for me.

Soldato
I have tried using software in the past but seems to make it harder.

I just have the following - folder with other folders thrown in. I still need to sort some as i have loads of different stuff in Rock and a folder called 'more music'

MP3s
House, Trance, Hip Hop, Dubstep, Garage, Grime, Rock, Chillout, Hard Dance, Hardcore, Mixes, Random

Soldato
I still think this is best done manually, it doesn't take too long. Unless you literally have one folder which has 1,000s of mp3s dumped randomly inside, but even if that is the case it is still worth taking the time to sort them yourself, do it a bit at a time if needed.

I have the same structure as Guest2 by music genre.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well I have about 20000 mp3s in total, with about 18000 of them being nice and organised on one hard drive. The rest are just scattered around my hard drive in random places so its quite hard to look for them all. Plus, i was only wanting them organised by artist - album, nothing too hard.

Soldato
foobar can do this. make sure you tick the option for "file operations" during setup.

then in preferences, configure the media library to monitor your whole drive. it might take a few minutes to index it the first time it runs. then use the "album list" library viewer, right click the "all music" bit at the top and then select file operations>move to>...

now in the destination folder, put where you want the files to go. in the file name pattern box put in

%album artist% - %album%\%tracknumber% - %title%

or

%album artist%\%album%\%tracknumber% - %title%

if you want the album folders to be subfolder of the artist.

you can do all sorts of powerful stuff using $if statements and whatnot if you had non album tracks you could place in a different folder etc. check the help menu>title formatting help to see what is available. :)

Soldato
Scattered all over? How all over? Would be easy to search for *.mp3 and move them to one folder then get moving.

I use the same structure on my ipod, playlists called 'rock', 'trance' etc each with all the tracks in. If you use software it messes them all up. (thats probably because half of my tags are messed up) Manual moving files yourself is the best way

Soldato
Start -> Search -> type in *.mp3 as the search term.

Get your list of all your MP3's, and Select All and move into 1 folder - from here you can then organise them properly.

Then - move them manually into folders for Artist\Album, and rename the files accordingly.

I use:

\Artist\Album\Artist - Album - Track# - Title.mp3

This way - at a glimpse, I know what every single track is!

If you've got a massive selection of "acquired" MP3's - chances are ANY tag-based organisation will get it wrong, as your tags are highly unlikely to be correct, and you'll find it'll take 5x longer to correct what's been done automatically! ;)

Soldato
If you've got a massive selection of "acquired" MP3's - chances are ANY tag-based organisation will get it wrong, as your tags are highly unlikely to be correct, and you'll find it'll take 5x longer to correct what's been done automatically! ;)

That or you ripped your cds years ago with old/no tagging. Damn my 10gb hard drive causing me to rip cds in nasty 128kbps

Soldato
That or you ripped your cds years ago with old/no tagging. Damn my 10gb hard drive causing me to rip cds in nasty 128kbps

Or that.

But, if you did that, surely you'd warrant spending the time digging the CDs out of the loft/cupboard and ripping them now as 320kbps MP3 or lossless FLAC, given how abundant hard drive space is now, how quick PCs are at ripping/encoding, and how good some of the online databases are ;)

Soldato
I spent a good few days organising mine when it started to annoy me.

I found it best to do it manually, no software got it exactly how I wanted.

I use Music\Artist\Year - Album\CDx (if applicable)\trackno - trackname.ext

So:
Code:
Music\Spellblast\1999 - Horns of Silence\04 - Glory to the Gem.flac
For stuff that has only one CD and
Code:
Music\Sonata Arctica\2005 - The End of This Chapter\CD1\13 - Wolf and Raven.flac
For things with multiple CDs.

I do it like that so that adding the entire Music directory to Winamp will get songs in the order I want in the playlist when I sort by Path / Filename.

Soldato
Examples from me

MP3s\Dance\Trance\Gatecrasher Classics\cd1/cd2/cd3
MP3s\Rock\Hatebreed\Hatebreed
MP3s\Dance\Mixes\DJ Jean@Trance Energy 2000.mp3

Associate
OP
Busy giving foobar a go. Seems to do what I want, Even though its still indexing my music.

All the tags are correct, They're either ripped directly from CD whilst connected to the internet. From a CD not connected to the internet or 'acquired' some other way I'd do all the tags myself.

Suppose I could have searched and moved a couple of times (MP3, WMA ect) But it would still mean organising them after that.

Soldato
no software got it exactly how I wanted.

foobar could easily do that assuming they were tagged correctly. using your simple example above.

Code:
Music\%album artist%\%date% - %album%\$ifgreater(%totaldiscs%,1,CD%discnumber%\,)%tracknumber% - %title%

there's not a lot it can't do assuming your music is tagged nicely and you're familiar with how the syntax works. :)

Back
Top Bottom