Origin is awful

Soldato
Some people have a retort even for companies raising millions of dollars for charity :rolleyes:...
For a company that is in the muti billions then giving millions is well below average. Giving 0.001% to charity or whatever it is seems very low. Math most likely wrong as it’s late. Anyway for a company that size 7 million is not much.

Soldato
For a company that is in the muti billions then giving millions is well below average. Giving 0.001% to charity or whatever it is seems very low. Math most likely wrong as it’s late. Anyway for a company that size 7 million is not much.

Not sure why you're comparing the money raised for charity against their total worth, the only figure you should be looking at is their net income from the last year which was $76 million. I'm not sure about you but I can't imagine many businesses handing over 10% of what they made in the last year to charity. Also, not only does the bundle still have over 8 days left to run which will raise even more money, it's probably not even the only money they'll give to charity this year.

Soldato
Still only at 49% of DS3 downloaded.
That's really strange. I DLed it last Thursday night with no issues. Has your ISP throttled you or something?

In other news: Origin appear to be instigating a rather (too?) generous returns policy on digital games. If you have 7 days to get a refund, as rumored, then most games can be easily completed in that time. 24 hours I could understand, but 7 days? That;s a licence to lose money. :)

Either way, it's a great way to differentiate themselves from Steam and push this digital age forward... though perhaps at the expense of profits for all. Which may not be healthy long term.

Still, whoever's running things now is certainly shaking things up for the better.

Associate
Some people have a retort even for companies raising millions of dollars for charity :rolleyes:...

Companies just like a lot celebrities have been using charities for PR purposes for decades, nothing to do with good intentions. Charities who benefit from such PR stunts I'm very happy for.

Soldato
Still only at 49% of DS3 downloaded. This is beyond a joke!! I have been trying since last Thursday to download this game. It downloads for 5-10 mins then just stops. I have to close it and then restart it again only for the same thing to happen. I have tried many so called "fixes" such as downloading the latest beat version of Origin, disabling power saving altogether on my pc and monitor and turning off my AV/firewall. Nothing makes any difference at all.

I added Origin to my list of Firewall exceptions (as it wasn't there already), but of course that made no difference. The only thing I found that actually worked was here, third post down (the dropbox link): http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/My-downloading-freezes-on-Origin/m-p/1400128

It says put the .ini file on your desktop, but I found it better to go to the actual Origin directory and overwrite the existing EACore.ini file.

So download the file, then copy it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games (or wherever you have Origin installed) and then overwrite the existing EACore.ini file.

In other news: Origin appear to be instigating a rather (too?) generous returns policy on digital games. If you have 7 days to get a refund, as rumored, then most games can be easily completed in that time. 24 hours I could understand, but 7 days? That;s a licence to lose money. :)

Either way, it's a great way to differentiate themselves from Steam and push this digital age forward... though perhaps at the expense of profits for all. Which may not be healthy long term.

So for single player games, you could download it on day 1, complete it in a few days then go and get your money back. Effectively making it a free game. But I though that was illegal... ;)

Although, this is assuming EA's servers are actually up and running on day 1. You may have wait over 7 days before you're allowed to actually play the game you paid for! *cough cough* SimCity server queues :rolleyes:

Blazin

Sho

Sho

Soldato
I just don't understand everyone's problem with the download issues.

I downloaded Mirror Edge, Dead Space 1 & 3 Burnout Paradise in the space of few hours.

I've had no issues with Origin. Well early days yea. But for a long while not had any issues whats so ever.

Soldato
I just don't understand everyone's problem with the download issues.

I downloaded Mirror Edge, Dead Space 1 & 3 Burnout Paradise in the space of few hours.

I've had no issues with Origin. Well early days yea. But for a long while not had any issues whats so ever.

Then you are one of the lucky ones! The downloads freezing/going backwards issue is a widespread one (just a simple Google search will show that), but the main issue is that the majority of those posts are from over 2 years ago, which means EA still haven't bothered to release a working fix for it.

Blazin

Associate
Then you are one of the lucky ones! The downloads freezing/going backwards issue is a widespread one (just a simple Google search will show that), but the main issue is that the majority of those posts are from over 2 years ago, which means EA still haven't bothered to release a working fix for it.

Blazin

Ha ive just come on here to moan about this again, downloading dead space, 95% done, critical error and asks to restart then its back to 65% lol. Me and a friend also cant see each other sometimes, tells us we are both offline to each other.

Soldato
How do you guys feel Origin compares to Uplay? I was forced into Uplay for Far Cry 3 just like I was forced into Origin for BF3 and after initially grumbling about how stupid it was to have to install yet another Steam-like platform I found it to be not that bad at all. I too bought the Origin bundle and have yet to try downloading anything (though I remember installing BF3 from the disc originally to then have Origin activate it and try to re-download the entire thing XD)

Soldato
How do you guys feel Origin compares to Uplay? I was forced into Uplay for Far Cry 3 just like I was forced into Origin for BF3 and after initially grumbling about how stupid it was to have to install yet another Steam-like platform I found it to be not that bad at all. I too bought the Origin bundle and have yet to try downloading anything (though I remember installing BF3 from the disc originally to then have Origin activate it and try to re-download the entire thing XD)

Yeh I got forced into UPlay with H.A.W.X 2. I find it quite annoying, mainly as I launch the game through Steam, to then have UPlay open up, check for updates, sync save files etc, and then finally load the game!

Also I can activate both the UPlay (Shift + F2) and the Steam (Shift + Tab) overlay at the same time! Lol :rolleyes:

Blazin

Soldato
Yeh I got forced into UPlay with H.A.W.X 2. I find it quite annoying, mainly as I launch the game through Steam, to then have UPlay open up, check for updates, sync save files etc, and then finally load the game!

Also I can activate both the UPlay (Shift + F2) and the Steam (Shift + Tab) overlay at the same time! Lol :rolleyes:

Blazin

Hmm :rolleyes: that sounds a bit awkward... I hadn't thought of that since my copy of Far Cry 3 wasn't bought through Steam so I only had to deal with UPlay on its own

Ole

Ole

Associate
I added Origin to my list of Firewall exceptions (as it wasn't there already), but of course that made no difference. The only thing I found that actually worked was here, third post down (the dropbox link): http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/My-downloading-freezes-on-Origin/m-p/1400128

It says put the .ini file on your desktop, but I found it better to go to the actual Origin directory and overwrite the existing EACore.ini file.

So download the file, then copy it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games (or wherever you have Origin installed) and then overwrite the existing EACore.ini file.

I found the same fix on the EA forums and it worked for me. Once the downloads actually started working properly they were extremely quick.

Hope that helps.

Caporegime
Origin defaults to downloading the installer files on the C: drive, even if you install it on a different drive.

You got enough space for these downloads? perhaps that is a problem?

I recently downloaded Battlefield 3 and Dead Space 3 in a matter of hours (Battlefield 3 on Saturday and Dead Space 3 yesterday)

Man of Honour
The only thing I found that actually worked was here, third post down (the dropbox link): http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/My-downloading-freezes-on-Origin/m-p/1400128

Thank you for the most helpful answer in this whole thread. Did all that and it downloaded without freezing at all. No way we should have to mess around trying to fix things though i am glad it's finally downloaded.

Caporegime
Origin defaults to downloading the installer files on the C: drive, even if you install it on a different drive.

You got enough space for these downloads? perhaps that is a problem?

I recently downloaded Battlefield 3 and Dead Space 3 in a matter of hours (Battlefield 3 on Saturday and Dead Space 3 yesterday)

if thats the case someone is using an SSD as boot drive but didn't alter the windows temp file directories etc.

I changed mine which is easily done
ZB4oLAf.jpg

although I would agree that if there is a space issue etc then origin should be telling people and not just freezing.

unless origin has a separate option for setting the temporary file location I can't remember

always nice not to have your temp file directory on your SSD anyway as a lot of crap gets written to it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom