Original/OEM Windscreen on Insurance.

Soldato
Hi guys,

As above. I've got a nice 50 pence-piece sized crack in my windscreen after passing a "mud spreading" tractor in the New Forest at the weekend, and it appears to be getting bigger! I think I'm passed the supermarket repair fix stage :o

My insurance covers replacement/repairs (with paid excess) but is there any shortcut to ensuring that I get a fitter that fits a genuine/original/OEM replacement? - about two years ago, a colleague had a screen fitted in the carpark whilst at work. It turned out to be non-gen, a bad fit, it leaked and the rain sensors no longer worked... worst case scenario I know but it took him months to get sorted and I think he ended up have to take the fitter/insurer to court - a case which he eventually won, but I don't recall the specifics. It was long winded anyway and I don't want a repeat of that!

Thoughts?

Soldato
I had a mare with autoglass and the screen on my car. When my wife's car needed a new screen I asked about OEM glass and the extra charge would have been £400 so I didnt go for it.
It went to a premier autoglass fitted in Twickenham and he fitted non OEM glass and do a brilliant job. The screen is perfect with auto lights/wipers and high beam all working fine and no odd distortions. It very much depends on what fitted does the job as to the quality in the end.

Soldato
I suspect it depends on the car too. I would think if you went for with the quick clear windscreen, I'd have thought there wouldn't be many (if any) none oem Suppliers. I'm only guessing though.

Soldato
OP
Hi guys,

Still haven't gotten round to sorting this yet - haven't used the car much since posting to be fair, with Christmas, leave and Covid isolation etc., but the good news in the crack hasn't got any bigger :D

I know it's going to be Autoglass with my insurer and I know the excess is £115, which is fine - I appear to have an unlimited top end with my policy, which is a bonus. With that in mind, I think going to try and tap up my fitter and see if I can have a genuine/OEM screen and maybe even get them to replace the surrounding trim/scuttle, if that isn't included anyway?

I'm going to go and see them tomorrow...

Soldato
Both me and my partner have matching cracked screens..

I myself need to get round to having a new one put in but dreading it after reading so many horror stories.

Perhaps coincidence but we both have VW’s and the cracks aren’t debris related, both cracks starting from where you cannot see. So annoying!!

Back
Top Bottom