Our Fostering Journey - Continued

Man of Honour
Some of you may recall that last October, we started our journey to become registered foster parents. Since then we have been trough various training programs, interviews and have had quite a few visits from a social worker working on behalf of the fostering agency.

During this period we have been preparing and training how to look after foster children and understanding the many possible backgrounds why a child would come into our care. We have been making sure that we are prepared for what is to come and to ensure that fostering is indeed for us. Likewise, the agency needs to know that we will make suitable foster parents. The social worker we’ve had visit has compiled a comprehensive portfolio of our lives, home, children, family, friends and our background, which will be presented to a board of independent selectors. So after months of hard work, we finally have a date:

Wednesday, 26th July 2006

So what exactly have we been up to?

Last December (you may recall) we attended a three day residential training course covering all aspects of fostering, including:

What is fostering:
Understanding why children are in fostering
Child care
Behaviour management
Equal opportunities and diversity
Self care

The course was very intense and in places quite upsetting. I found it very thought provoking and in particular, the Self Care. Our children had there own one day course so they could have had a similar overview and understanding of what to expect etc.

The course was run by the agency and this gave them an early assessment of whether we would be suitable to apply for fostering. Apparently, we were ok! So we were granted the right to apply so it was the first step over.

The next step was a series of visits from a social worker and this has been ongoing since January. We had an initial visit just as a formal introduction followed by a series of interviews gathering the information needed to build our portfolio.

Each of us (including the children) has been interviewed very thoroughly. It really has been gloves off time and as you can imagine, it been quite hard. In fact, at one point I was quite concerned about my daughter who expressed she was worried about being left out. So this delayed things quite a bit until we were happy that she was. We have always told the kids that if they weren’t happy with anything, that they have just as much right to say no at any time.

My wife and I where asked a series of questions relating to our background. We were asked questions relating to the way we were brought up and raised. There were questions about how we were disciplined and how we discipline our own children. This went on for months.

The children were also interviewed. They were asked questions about how they would feel about some of the children coming in, and how they would deal with them. They were also asked about how we brought them up.

The social worker also paid a visit to ALL our family and friends asking them similar questions.

So as you can see, it’s all been very intense. However, all this information has now been compiled into a large document called a form “F”. It is this document that will present on the 26th July.

:)

Man of Honour
OP
kalanium said:
Good Luck to you. Can't say I would ever do it myself after having growing up with my parents fostering. If it all goes well can you see yourself doing long-term or short-term fostering? Also some of the backgrounds the kids will come from will disgust you in the ways they have been treated.

Really.. How did you feel about your parents fostering at the time and how do you feel about it now?

Man of Honour
OP
BillytheImpaler said:
Huddy, approximately how many foster kids will you have at any one time? Do you decide or does someone else do it? I've always been a bit curious how foster care works. :)

Each child must have his/her own room as this is their space and privacy. Therefore, you are allowed one child per bedroom. The exception being sibblings where they want to share.

We have one spare room so for the time being we are looking at one child.

On the back end of this, for the first year, we are going for emergency, short term and rest-bite only, just so that we aren't running before we can walk, so to speak. Once we have assed our progress, then we'll look at long term.

Man of Honour
OP
McDaniel said:
Congrats,

Do you get a specific age range? like 3-7, or 8-12 etc..

Or just whom ever?

Sort of,

The age range is a bit of an issue for us at the moment because we have stipulated that we don't want any children 1 year older than our oldest (12).

The reason for this is that we havn't had the experience with dealing with older children and every year is a big change in a child development. Therfore, we would not be equiped to cope.

kalanium said:
Don't know how it works now but it used to be just anyone up to the age of 16 (maybe 18?), but by 15+ they are usually adopted or put into homes.

it is 18.. but just because they reach 18 doesn't mean they are on the streets. Full support is provided to make sure they are ready to leave when they are ready and are able to face the world, like our own children.

Biohazard said:
thanks mate :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
We were held in front of 10 independent advisors who took 2 hours to look at our application.

It turns out that all though we would make great foster parents, the following points were an issue to them:

1. They think that i'm too commited to my work and this would not be in the best interests of the child..

2. That my work will not give a reference because they feel it's a conflict of interests.

3. They feel my son needs a little more time to settle as he is at an important stage of his behaviour development.

So their recomendation is no, not yet.

I'm puzzled by the whole outcome tbh. In a way I'm glad it's just the above reasons and nothing more personal or serious as that would have been quite upsetting.

As it is, my opinion is that it's their loss. We have a good home, a spare bedroom and we've volunteered to accept any child into our home and family.

As for the work thing, I've always put my family before work and any child in our care would most certainly be part of our family. I fail to see why this is an issue when they accept single parent Foster Parents.

They have a point with my son but then every day is a challange with him. The same as it would be for any child we look after that has behaviour problems.

Many thanks for all your good wishes. It was good to hear from some of you who have been involved in Fostering at some point in ther lifes. Makes it more of a reality when you hear "real" stories.

Once again, many thanks

Man of Honour
OP
absolutley. By then we'll have moved our goal posts and we'll have the experience of dealing with older children which we feel was what they wanted anyway. I'm a little annoyed at the social worker as she should have picked up on these points in the 9 months of the application process.

Ho-Hum

Man of Honour
OP
**UPDATE***

Well would you "Adam and Eve" it?

The panel made their recommendation of "NO" to the director who has the final say and he has overturned the decision ..

He called me late yesterday and told me this is only the second time in his 20 years in his job that he has done this, so we feel quite honored.

So, we are now registered Foster Parents \0/!!

Evidently, he thought my job was irrelevant and that our experience with children (Teresa has an 'ology in Childcare) was a crucial benefit.

There was a compromise though, that we only do respite for the next year. That suits us as it enables us to gain some experience and make a few changes (possibly moving). All the time our own kids are growing then we gain valuable knowledge on dealing with teenagers. We can also determine if fostering is really for us.

The director also told me he liked my sons story the other day of me dressing up as a woman at a recent fancy - dress.. maybe that "swung" it for him - excuse the expression . Kids huh !!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
many thanks for all your good wishes :)

We have a date scheduled for the 7th August for the placement officer and the director to come round and have a chat as to what happens now.

Will keep posting the progress over the nest few months.

;)

Man of Honour
OP
willd58 said:
I dont wana rain on your parade but iv had nothing but bad experiances with relation to Fostering, its outcomes have led me to disagree with the whole thing when it comes to adopting a kid into an already functioning family.

No that's fine but please expand if you can.

Man of Honour
OP
We have a young lad with us at the moment who currently keeps running away. He has been with us for over a week now and his absconded every day and night so far except one.

Apparently, social services want to place him with his brother who is in a secure home but since he’s spending most of his time on the run they haven’t found the time to sort out the paper work to make this happen quicker.

Every night we have had the police round because we have to report him missing and each night we have to file a missing persons report and have a search of the house. We know he is going round his mum who lives in London. There is a court order in place that the mother should not be anywhere near him as she and his step-dad are heavy drug users and are constantly in and out of prison.

We have had terrible trouble trying to get in touch with his social worker. We need to find out what’s going to happen and try and get this sorted.. but apparently, his phone ran out of credit.. Have you ever heard of anything so bloody stupid!.. I was livid.. raging!! This kids life is at danger and he hasn’t got credit!!!!!!

I don’t blame the lad for running away but I’d wish he’d just tell us but he just goes. He has no money yet he manages to get where he wants to go. The police have raided his mothers flat and have brought him back to us every night.. What a waste of the tax payers money. This is a huge drain on police resources as it’s an 80 mile round trip each time. Surely, he’s best off in care nearer to home. At least then the police won’t have to keep dragging him back as far each time. Either that or speed up the red tape of his permanent care.

I have been quite tolerant with this lad but I’m getting a little fed up with him now. I said to him that if he stayed and didn’t run off, then id give him a ride on the back of my motorbike and I’ll take him fishing at the weekend. His face lit up and I was convinced that would be a good incentive to stay.. he disappeared the next morning.

I’m a bit worried about him being a influence on my own son. Bunking off school and all that. I doubt he would but it is a worry.

We haven’t seen him Since Tuesday night and haven’t heard a thing.

Man of Honour
OP
So how bad is this?

The lad we are looking after at the moment disappeared last Wednesday. We called the police, the fostering agency and his social worker (his assistant anyway) immediately. Since this is like the umpteenth time he’s absconded and each time his gone round his mums, we told them he is likely to be there.

We heard nothing for the rest of the day..

Thursday nothing..

Friday I get a phone call from his social worker asking me how he is getting on? Remember from above that this is the guy who didn’t have any credit in his phone.

“hmm he is not here”, I said. “he’s not been hear since Wednesday. Your assistant was notified on the day”.

“oh really, where do you think he is?”, he asked.

Too which I replied, “most likely to be round his mums were he has been the other half a dozen times he has done this”.

“oh dear”, he said. I’ve told him he is not allowed round there”.

“what do you expect?, he is a kid”, I answered angrily.

Further on in the conversation he asked me and I quote “What do you think I should do?”

I went nuts. Since when has any child listened to adult any reasoning?

I told him that this kid should be in care either at a children’s centre or a foster home nearer his mother with organised visits. At least then if he does abscond, he is within the same area and not 3 hours on the run. He’s only 12 for gods sake.

After being on the phone with this gut for over 30 minutes, I asked him to get back to me by the end of the day after he has decided what they are going to do with this lad. Guess what? I heard nothing..

Saturday nothing,

Sunday nothing.. until.. last night at 23:00 when we got a phone call from the agency paniking.. “We’ve found him”!!! “Oh really” I said.

“Can you come and pick him up?” I was asked.

“hmm….. No”, I said.

I told the agency that I didn’t think it was in the best interest of the child and his safety to be in our care. If came and collected him, he’d run away again the next day which meant him being on the road again for another 3 hours or so. I think he is best off in care nearer to his mum. At least then he’d only be on the run for 30 mins or so.

Crazy

Man of Honour
OP
well i've just come off the phone to the social services dept for over an hour.. They have permitted the boy to stay at his mums for the time being but he has to checked on twice a day.

At least now he is where he wants to be for the time being. It means he is safe from the streets so at less risk. Good new for everyone including the agency and the police..

I had to plea withhim to listen and see reasoning. . . I feel like i've achieved something today :)

Man of Honour
OP
bloody social workers!!

They phoned his mums last night to tell them what the new arrangements were without actually explaining why they were coming round.. The lad heard they were coming round and ran away thinking they were coming to take him away.. As a result, he was on the streets of London all night last night and was picked up by the Police at 4am...

So since he is still under our care, he was returned to us at 6am this morning.

I have given him a hard lecture this morning and I've made it quite clear to him that we are trying to help and that he is doing himself no favours by running. He was gutted when i told him why social services were coming round. I've aksed him to stay and consider what HE wants to do and i'll try and make it happen.

I have asked the agency and the social worker to come to Chelmsford and discuss the issue together with the lad.. but the social worker said if can't leave London until 3pm which means workoing past 5pm!!! Fine, i said. Your lack of commitemnt speaks volumes.. you may not get another chance to speak to him as he'l' most likely run away overnight.

So if you ever wonder how and why kids and up on the streets, there's one of the answers

Man of Honour
OP
not really because we have to impose out own guidlines. Basically, we can only care for him if he wants to be. Once he has left the house and the authorities hve been notified then it's out of our hands. It has to be otherwise we would be to emotionally involved at that would effect our family and i'm not going to let that happen.

I have told him today that if he wants to run off then fine but he must tell us first that he is going and where he is going. As far as i'm concerned, if he does this, then it means we don't have to get the police involved because affectively he isn't a missing person. It only means we have to tell his social worker and the agency. I told him that if he doesn't then we will get the police involved.

Unless i nail him to the floor I'm not going to be able to stop him running away so it's best done with a bit of diplomacy.

Back
Top Bottom