Out of touch with the times - spec me a system.

Associate
Hey all,

I'm looking at getting myself a media center PC for my lounge - not sure on budget probably around the £500 mark but I would also consider upgrading my own PC and putting some of my existing stuff into a silent box for the lounge.
I'm running a 3400+ 754 A64 clawhammer, 1Gb corsair, 6800GT @ Ultra speeds (all as per sig actually).

It is possible to run a silent media center box? Any suggestions on what I should do would be great.

PC use is mainly programming, downloads, email, odd game or two (very rare nowadays) - so mainly multitasking (dual core required?).
Media center PC would obviously just be used for watching movies, MP3 audio and ermm...what else can these things do?

Cheers!

Associate
The CPU you have is a good one so why wast money. If you not multi tasking then no need for dual core. If multitasking then just get new board and CPU and use current ram and G/Card. The AMD are quick but the intel on OC (£79) is cheap and decent (not real fast but do you need speen for programing?).

You should look round for nice case that supports your current board and if using for films/music get some large storage drives. This will hold all downloads and if moved onto second drive will not slow down opperating system.

See good drives on OC home page.

You have a decent G/Card so unless you going to be playing games on a 32" TV setup why change it, If you realy want to have the graphics just spend on a top end card.

Memory looks fine as you description says just use for basics so same again why wast the money.

IMO you would not need to wast money on upgrading unless you have more things you do not on listed, just geta nice case for the front room and large storage and the spec you currently have will run media center all day.

Hope this helps

Associate
For the things you do on your comp, the PC you have at the moment looks fine to me, just overclock it a little ! :p I wouldn't bother upgrading your current PC and instead, spend more on your new media centre PC :)

For media centre PC maybe you could get the AMD X2 3800+ (overclock a little) with 1gb pc3200 ???

You wouldn't need the best graphics card for DVD playing etc so you could probably get a decent media centre for £500 :p

Associate
A Sempron processor is AMPLE for a MCE system...

So the clawhammer if the OP wants to upgrade his main system should go 939/X2/PCI-E in the Main rig and use the Clawhammer in the MCE system.

As for a silent MCE system, DEFINATLY doable. I would, assuing usuing the CH.

1) drop the multi on the CH to make it run cooler.
2) Probably cool it with a Arctic Freezer 64 and look at modding the fan to run slower.
3) Power it with a Tagan Silent PSU
4) Use a Passively cooled NB and Graphics.
5) Use a quiet disk like a Samsung Spinpoint.
6) Use 7V modded fans, probably a single input and output fan.

This should be to all intenstive purposes silent ( i.e. any noise have to be like < 1 foot away ) and work just fine for a MCE system.

Soldato
I'd also downclock the CPU too - this will reduce heat output (also reduces CPU performance but if there's ample it's not a problem).

The less heat, the less fans, the less noise and less electricity used.

Back
Top Bottom