outdoor soffit/cladding lighting.

Soldato
I was wondering if anyone here has installed some type of outdoor lighting like this:

https://www.decswitch.com/high-quality-twistlock-downlights/outdoor-adjustable-soffit-lights.html

I was contemplating about installing this on the underside of the soffit on my extension.

It is a 6 metre length, can anyone help with the following

- How many lights?
- What type of electrical cable should I use?
- Any ideas on what type of outdoor trunking or cable I need to use for electrical wire that might be visible on the outside of the wall?

Technically the cable is internal not external if you do sink them in, and run it inside.
Normally if you have an outside light that is only coming through the wall sparks will install std cable.

You would normally just extend the lighting circuit internally, so probably safest to just add a fused switch (so you can isolate if needs be)
Then run std lighting cable, cant see why anything would need to be outside?

Hi,

Isolation might be a good idea thanks!

there will be a small amount of cable alongside the wall so it would be external?

I will need to drill from the inside of the house at the highest point (kitchen coupboard) to see where the hole ends up, I'd imagine it is quite high up the wall. so a small amount of wire will need to be external or i just get some round trunking and be done with it.

The wire inbetween the hole would probably be the one you linked though

I have a cupboard in the kitchen i can get power feed from there, I was planning on having the switch for these lights either in that coupboard or underneath it - totally out of sight.

tell you what I will get pics up on here and some diagrams about what I *think* the wiring will look like when I get time.

Oh so you want to take a feed from inside to outside, then up to the soffit, and run the cable between the lights inside the soffit

In that case you do have outside cable.
My exterior lighting uses pond cable, https://www.screwfix.com/p/nexans-pond-flex-3183p-3-core-1-5mm-10m-black/7451t

That should be fine, assuming your just going to be using LEDs in the lights.
You can just wire them in series. The main issue with external cable is that its UV stable so the plastic/rubber doesn't break down.
If your taking the feed straight from inside to out and then up with no connections you should be dandy.
So wire from switch (inside) up to the first light inside the soffit. Then from light to light. When drilling out, drill slightly downwards so water cannot drain inwards. Ideally also create a drip loop in the cable so any water that runs down goes below to hole to a point where a drip will form. Then seal up the hole with either a proper seal, or a dab of silicon.

This is all going to be high up by the sounds of it. If lower though I would consider using armoured, but its a hell of a lot more of a pain to deal with. (thicker, more rigid, terminating etc)

I cant see that those lights mention how they are wired. IE are they already prewired with some cable, upto some sort of IP rating or could they simply just have a scotchblock type connector.
If they are prewired you wouldn't hurt yourself using IP rated boxes and you would then know you pretty well protected even if you have a leak. But if they are scotch type connectors pointless adding the expense as the light itself would be the weak link.

Thanks, that is exactly the plan, this is the cable I am after, but I barely need 2 metres lol

shame I didn't run a cable from the inside to outside when it was all getting built.

I had no idea that the cladding/soffit will be in place.

do I think I need this cable from light to light inside the soffit? I think the lights are weather proof supposedly.

No not specifically, but its not that expensive anyway, plus a little more resistant to temp etc and it sounds like the lot would do all you need.

The light will be weatherproof, but that means when installed properly the insides are protected from the weather.
If they were stand alone outside they would almost certainly be pre wired

I have IP65 downlighters in my bathrooms, but inside the void they look no diff to my ones that are just fire rated. The bit that faces the outside is completely different.

gotcha, these wires look like they got 1.5m of cable already attached to each light.

Might be wrong though.

probably give it a crack once I have the chance, I normally like testing everything out 100% electronically before I go in and start drilling holes lol

Back
Top Bottom