Outdoor wifi extender

Soldato
Can anyone recommend the best way to extend a wifi signal outdoors?

I’ve tried an indoor TP Link AC2600 Range Extender but it doesn’t seem to reach to where I need it for a Ring doorbell.

The closest I can get with the my current router is approx 20-25m. It seems to just about reach but the connections drops in and out so it’s not suitable. I had hoped the extender would reach a little further but it seems to stop at the exact same distance.

I don’t really want to stick an external antenna on the front of the house as they’re a bit of an eyesore.

Would an external antenna next to the Ring doorbell work in picking up the wifi signal from the router 20-25m away? Do the external antennas work by sitting a few feet away from the router, connected by Ethernet, and boost the signal or can they be used to pick up a signal 20-25m away?

Thanks!

Soldato
Can anyone recommend the best way to extend a wifi signal outdoors?

I’ve tried an indoor TP Link AC2600 Range Extender but it doesn’t seem to reach to where I need it for a Ring doorbell.

The closest I can get with the my current router is approx 20-25m. It seems to just about reach but the connections drops in and out so it’s not suitable. I had hoped the extender would reach a little further but it seems to stop at the exact same distance.

I don’t really want to stick an external antenna on the front of the house as they’re a bit of an eyesore.

Would an external antenna next to the Ring doorbell work in picking up the wifi signal from the router 20-25m away? Do the external antennas work by sitting a few feet away from the router, connected by Ethernet, and boost the signal or can they be used to pick up a signal 20-25m away?

Thanks!

Blimey what size house have you got ?

Soldato
OP
Is there a solid wall in the way? I have one of those extenders and it’s good for 10-15 metres with clear LoS or 5 metres with one wall in the way.

The problem with the extender is that I can’t get it closer than the router. The router is at the furthest point forward of the house but lives inside a cupboard so I had hoped placing the extender in line with the router but with direct sight of the Ring it would reach. But it seems the signal can’t reach consistently to 20-25m.

Soldato
20-25 metres is a long distance though whats the layout ? You need to do it in a relay, so probably need one wifi extender about 10-15 metres away from the router and a second one next to the ring device. Also note Ring sell a wifi extender with a doorbell chime integrated. I have one in my conservatory as I have an old Ring Video doorbell 1 on the garage as a sort of CCTV camera for the back of the house but that distance is about 8 metres.

Soldato
OP
So the Ring is going on a gate post, which is 20-25m from the front of the house. There is no usable power between the front of the house and the gate, but there is power at the gate (obviously for the Ring to work :cry:). So any kind of extender/booster has to either live on the house (ideally not as they are always big white plastic things), or on the side of the gate post.

I had hoped an indoor extender would be able to reach but it stops working at the same distance as my current router which seems to be on the inside of the gate, but not the outside of the gate.

Soldato
You’re going to struggle at that distance. Don’t forget WiFi is bi-directional so the Ring has to be able to transmit back and I don’t think it’ll do 25m.

I absolutely hate power lines but this might be a use case for them. If you’ve got power at the gate then use power lines to get a signal down there over the electrical cable. Then at the gate feed that into a cheap outdoor access point next to the ring and it’ll connect easily to that. Depending on the wiring it is fraught with pitfalls so buy some powerlines from somewhere you can return and see if they work first.

Failing that there are point to-point wireless solutions that can easily cover that distance but you’ll end up with a lot of expensive kit at your gate and most require LoS and that means something on the outside of your house.

Caporegime
Is there only power at the gate, or is there anything else that might have been used for an old intercom?

Back
Top Bottom