Outward - Open world RPG with co-op and split screen!

Associate
You are not a god, nor a chosen one. The path before you is fraught with perils.

Outward_SteamGIF_BasedOnSteam_PrepareForTheUnknown.gif

Outward delivers an immersive RPG experience coupled with survival gameplay, offering a deeply-rewarding challenge for the most avid gamers.
As an ordinary adventurer, you’ll not only have to hide or defend yourself against threatening creatures, but also brave the hazardous environmental conditions, protect yourself against infectious diseases, make sure you get enough sleep, and stay hydrated. Embark on perilous expeditions across untamed lands to reach new cities, undertake varied missions and discover hidden dungeons crawling with formidable enemies.

Outward_SteamGIF_BasedOnSteam_2_Solo-Coop.gif

In order to survive in the dazzling yet deadly world of Aurai, you’ll have to be cunning, clever and prepared. Devise diverse strategies to defeat your foes and don’t neglect your basic needs, sharing your journey with a friend, locally or online.

• Survive in the wilds as you explore the land
  • Play solo or cooperatively, split screen locally or online
  • Ritualistic, step-by-step approach to spellcasting
  • Constant auto-saving means you must live with your decisions
  • Encounter dynamic defeat scenarios
  • A unique experience with every playthrough

Outward_SteamGIF_BasedOnSteam_Adventure.gif

Store Link

Last edited:
Associate
OP

ESO's preview gave a fairly good impression. The game released yesterday with a mixed reception though, so it certainly isn't for everyone!

Associate
OP
Shame they didn't use tessellation or some other form of depth mapping - that section in the first animation showing an internal corridor the stones are noticeably 2D.

The graphics aren't going to be cutting edge, sadly. The development team numbered just ten people.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So, went and bought this game and thought I give my opinion about it after having played for 23 hours. As been mentioned about, the graphics isn't the best but considering it is a 10 man developer team behind it, it still pretty good. At start things are a bit challenging, as with all games. Reminds me a bit of ELEX in that regard, once you get bit better armor and weapons things changes. (CohhCarnage sort of compared the game to ELEX/Dark Soul/Gothic.)

There is no fast travel or horses in the game so have to walk/sprint all the way. Once you progress in the game though you get better gear and abilities you can gain that makes the sprinting less tedious though. There is no experience gained or skill points to pick. You get trained from certain NCP trainers and that way gain your abilities, of course that cost money. :p

The loot system is random so if someone said they got weapon x from a certain place, you might not get it there. Most places respawns after a a while and one can go back and see what new things are there. And you have some dungeon crawling to be do as well as regular bandits that roams around. The area can be a bit empty but I personally are ok with that, not having to bump into monsters/bandits around every corner works well for me. Also, in regards too loot, it don't disappear so you can drop it and come and pick it up later. I been doing that, one reason why I'm at 23 hours in the game but needing the money to buy things since I not been lucky with drops. :p

There is NO quest hand holding, fact is that the stored quest info is sparse and you have to pay attention to what the NCP tells you, or even write it down. (I started to take screen shoots of conversation for quests). And no quest markers either. :p Also, you can't even see yourself on the map so you have to relay on landmarks around you and on the map to find out where you are and where you need to go.

I added some screen shoots in the spoiler below to get a felling of the game, sort of. And some more information about certain things.

Just the starting screen but I sort of like it. :cool:
30Viv7Q.jpg

The map and there is 4 regions, I'm still at the first one exploring it all. It's not exactly small though, and they all around the same size. As you can see, no markers to show where I am. I'm at the upper left corner, where there is like a blue jewel, which is the 'main' city in the area. The purple spot in the middle is a big mountain, showed a bit further down.
azyMmfz.jpg

Some landscapes.
pzsG6ao.jpg

74iZDwd.jpg

HJ1EKLL.jpg

That mountain is the biggest landmark in the region I am in and roughly in the middle of the map.
551X6Dd.jpg

Traveling merchant, can appear on some strange places. This on on a hill top that you not really have to run up to and it can't be seen from the paths if you keeping to those.
3p88EPB.jpg

Night time, I have set the brightness a tad above average though so you can have it much darker if you prefer.
yBDU8V8.jpg

One merchant, all prices are the same from them all but might be different in other regions but at the first one where I am still, they all sell/buy at same prices.
WQIhQmb.jpg

Part of your inventory. What you have equipped will not count towards your carry weight (top part). Then you have the pocket section, which you need the essentials on incase you die and need heal/drink before you can find your backpack again. At bottom you can see the part of what I have in the backpack, and there is different sizes of backpack, with different functions from what I heard. You can carry more then the backpack can take but your movement speed gets impeded if you do. Currently if I get around 65/50 then I can't move. :p Also on the floor where you see the fireplace, its an alchemy station placed on it, a portable one so you can brew your potion anywhere you want if having it in your back pack, although it takes up 5 pound of weight. :( You also have a cooking pot for making food.
bMlycMq.jpg

And here is the quest log. As mentioned, it is very spares with information !
o1w8MMj.jpg

For those that was observant there is one circle missing to the left side in one of the pictures, which you have to gain if you want it. The red one is for Health, yellow is Stamina and if you decide you want it, the blue is for Magic. When sprinting and the stamina gets lower, the more tired you get and the character shows it by starting to slump forward. Walk and it regain stamina but as time passes during the day and you using the Stamina by running the amount slowly shrinks and you end up with less and less (It is also used when fighting, swinging your weapon of choice). Sleeping cures it though and restore it to a full circle. Same goes with Health if you get injured. The mana works a bit different though, the more you sleep the less mana you have in the morning. There is drinks that removes the burn health/stamina/mana though.

Ohh and you have to keep an eye on your stats, you get thirsty, hungry and can contract diseases too. I got the common Cold when winter hit ! It can be cured but takes time. :p

In conclusion, is it worth it at this price ? I think so, I know I be getting my moneys worth out of it. But there is some things that could been done better, like the voice acting. It's not quiet there, sometimes NCP shows having 4 sentences but the VA might only read the first and last, sometimes none. It can be turned off though if it would irritate you. You can place markers on the map but seems to be a bug and they wont stay fixed. I placed one on the map at the start and it kept moving away. Hopefully they fix it and you can then have markers for different things (There is 5 different markers so can be useful for caves, certain plant locations etc).

Thanks for your input, it definitely sounds like my sort of game! Presumably there's no long-winded intro or tutorial?

Back
Top Bottom