Over 75s now pay for TV license

Soldato
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48583487

Up to 3.7 million pensioners who previously received a free TV licence will now have to pay for it.

The BBC will scrap blanket free licences for over-75s, but housesholds with one person who receives Pension Credit will still be eligible.

The BBC said "fairness" was at the heart of the ruling, which comes into force in June 2020.

It follows a consultation with 190,000 people, of which 52% were in favour of reforming or abolishing free licences.

Is this is a sign that the BBC are indeed money grabbing or have their revenues in recent years been dropping as people opt for web streaming solutions instead?

Soldato
OP
I'd prefer them to scrap the BBC. I rarely watch it apart from the news. The same is true of my over-75 year old mum.

I actually don't pay for a license and therefor do not watch. I mostly watch Netflix or just download. Back in the 90s-2000s when TV was the only way to watch films/series etc, I could see how it had its place. Now, with the development of super fast broadband and subscription services, It's obselete. So yes, I totally agree with you.

Back
Top Bottom