Over the years...many PSU cables

Associate
Evening folks,

If you've accumulated quite a lot of PSU cables over the years and kept them, and chucked them all in a box, is there a way to tell which cable set goes with which PSU you may have kicking around ?

As I cannot get a 1000W PSU for my new AMD build (5900X), I decided to grab an existing PSU from my VR Rig (Which I never use anymore anyway).

It's a Corsair AX1200i.

Technically, the cables on it are official 1200i cables, but on the basis I may eventually get my hands on a 1000w Seasonic (don't laugh), I don't want to rip out all my nicely wired cables in the VR Rig.

I've got dozens of cables collected over the years in a huge box, but have no idea which ones are approved for the AX1200i.

Sure the connectors are the same, but I read somewhere that using the wrong gauge can be harmful, so I don't want to use weaker cables, as I do intend to overclock quite a bit and draw a lot of power.

Any ideas ? Thank you.

Man of Honour
You shouldn't be using the AXi cables on another psu anyway. The AXi series are built by Flextronic and may well have different pinouts to a Seasonic psu. It's the different pinouts that can lead to a expensive mistake as it can fry several components and usually the psu as well.

Associate
OP
Thank you. I probably didn't make it very clear. I have a big box of PSU cables. Some of them *may* be from the AX1200i, which I didn't use. They are all mixed up with other manufacturer's power cables. I was just trying to work out how to identify the AX1200i ones.
I had a look at the Corsair link above, but it didn't really help, as it doesn't say which ones have reverse polarity. Not that I could interpret anyway.

Soldato
I have a big box of PSU cables.
Which is now electronics waste bin.
When sticking random cables into PSU, chance is very high for things at least not working and chance to randomly find fitting cable is equal to chance for killing components.

If you don't store PSU's cables in original box, add tape/some sticker with "owner marking" to cables.

Without multimeter and ripping out fitting cables for comparison there's no way to tell which would be wired correctly to work with this PSU.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thank you. I probably didn't make it very clear. I have a big box of PSU cables. Some of them *may* be from the AX1200i, which I didn't use. They are all mixed up with other manufacturer's power cables. I was just trying to work out how to identify the AX1200i ones.
I had a look at the Corsair link above, but it didn't really help, as it doesn't say which ones have reverse polarity. Not that I could interpret anyway.

Try here https://www.modders-inc.com/power-supply-pinout-repository/8/

Look at the 'Towards the PSU' view

Usually type 3 and type 4 are labelled on the plug end so you can exclude them quickly.

Associate
OP
Thank you folks and especially thank you Decto.

Would folks agree that my link shows the correct way to power my Asus Dark Hero with my Corsair AS1200i for Connectors A and B ?

(Ignore C marked on the mobo, I know that is for the 24pin ATX)

z8M0Lcb.jpg

One thing of note that threw me...Asus say that a PSU that confirms to ATX 12v Specification 2.0 or later is needed for the Dark Hero. I'm hoping the AX1200i is !

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom