Overclock 2700 or leave standard - multithread heavy

Associate
Hello all,

I have recently upgraded my comp following a previous thread I started, but the more I look in to this, the more I may have gone in the wrong direction. I primarily game on old games, so single core performance is not the highest priority for me. However, I do a lot of CAD work on all cores, Adobe premiere and aftereffects, and then large adjustments to photoshop sessions.

Currently have 2700 @ 4ghz on 1.335V, x470 Gaming Plus, 32Gb 3200mhz Corsair Vengence @ 2933.

Am I better off leaving as stock with core boost, or better off overclocking as listed? The reason I ask is that core boost goes higher, but not on all cores, and also better voltage control. Der8auer and buildzoid suggest leaving at stock, but I am guessing that is to get the best return for gaming only.

Many thanks

Permabanned
What is your all core boost at stock? You might get 1-200 mhz more all core boost for multi core workloads but its only really going to be worth it for long running tasks. Which you may do?

Also depends what cooling you have?

Associate
OP
What is your all core boost at stock? You might get 1-200 mhz more all core boost for multi core workloads but its only really going to be worth it for long running tasks. Which you may do?

Also depends what cooling you have?
Hyper 212 Black edition with two fans, only seeing 72 degrees at 100% after several hours on overclock.

The CAD renders will be running for 1 hour for preview and then sent out to farm on other comps as well, where final renders will be 12 or so hours. Adobe stuff will be 30 mins or so from prior experience on old CPU

Associate
OP
Leave your chip at stock and see if you can get your memory running at 3200 instead of 2933.
I keep hitting a brick wall with 3200ghz. XMP profile is there for 3200, but computer doesn't boot. I only change the xmp value. Is this where I need to work out the correct ram settings for CAS etc and boost voltage?

Back
Top Bottom