Overclock setting needed for Ryzen 1700x

Soldato
Hi All i'm looking for a little help.

I'm wanting to overclock my system with a stable overclock and keep the temps down.
I have done a basic overclock changing the multiplier but i'm assume some more experienced people on here will have will be able to help me fine tune it.

I have a ryzen 1700x spec in footer.

Soldato
OP
what speed did you get with your basic overclock?
its very hard to get passed 4Ghz of ryzen and most ever cap out at 3.8/3.9ghz, the good thing is no matter what voltage you pump it they tend to run cool.
I've been using at 3975Mhz i did set the it to 4000Mhz but it never shows that in in windows, but i have never stress tested it

Soldato
OP
I had a few issues with the PC freezing when stress testing at 4ghz and 3.95 so I have dropped the overclock down to 3.8ghz to start, im not too sure which part is the vcore but I have attached the cpu-z snapshot below.

m67uml

https://prnt.sc/m67uml

The temps are going upto 83c using the PC and stress testing at the same time and im using aida64 as you suggested.

Soldato
OP
A little bit of everything, gaming has been limited till I get a better GPU.
No I kept everything at auto and just changed the multiplier, How can I check my vcore.

Soldato
OP
cpen CPUz, then run a bench text.
as the bench test is running look at CPUz and look for the info for Core voltage

If you have it st to auto i would think it will be a big number maybe over 1.4, this is bad but lets see what its at then we can change things
Thanks, just got back and checked in bios and your are right its on auto 1.42 im thinking about dropping it down to 1.28.

Soldato
OP
Ok just a update. i've not really got beyond the default overclock, it seam it need higher core voltage to get it stable beyond this .

I've got to 3.85Ghz on 1.35 stable overclock I tested with Cinibench and AIDA64 without issues. beyond this I need to up the core voltage to 1.375, so Cinibench and Aida64 does not crash.
I do need to tweak to see what else i can do to keep it stable and cool as possible.

Soldato
OP
Another update.
i've trying out different core voltages to see how low I can get the Voltage without issues. the best I've been able to get so far has been 3.85Ghz overclock at 1.34v 3.8Ghz - 1.3v 3.82 - 1.32v
I've also managed to get 3.9Ghzat 1.4v and I was able to get 4Ghz running without issue but Cinibench would keep crashing even at 1.45v I did not want to try anymore. so i went back to 3.85 which gave me a good overclock and I was able to keep the core voltage below 1.35.

I have the thought about dropping down even further to 3.8Ghz or 3.82Ghz.

Any other suggestions on what else i can to to get better overclock ?

I did have a question I see the bios has offset in the core voltage options I was wondering what this is for and how to use it ?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
When you have your overclock set and your core voltage tuned. You can then switch it offset. This wall let bios lower voltage when the system in not under load to lower idle temps
thanks for the info that was helpful.

Im hoping someone who overclock more would be able to give me there thoughts on this, I have been wondering what would be better, lower core voltage or sightly higher overclock ?
Looking at my results 3.85Ghz overclock at 1.34v 3.8Ghz - 1.3v 3.82 - 1.32v the difference is really only 0.02v or 0.02Ghz which would you choose ?

Soldato
OP
AMD chips can take voltage, if your under 1.35 your safe... To a degree

Keep under 1.35v then when using your system on a days to days basis keep and eye on temps, ryzen run cool
OK, So it would be best if I keep everyday clock down at 3.80 1.3v in your option ?

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys.

i've done a few test using cinibench, AIDA64 & OCCT, OCCT needs slightly more voltage compared to AIDA64.

Here is what I got 3.8Ghz @ 1.29v Stable in AIDA and cinibench but I needed to up it to 1.30v stable in OCCT max temp so far 65c
I also tested 3.7Ghz @ 1.25v stable in AIDA and cinibench but I needed to up it to 1.26v stable in OCCT max temp so far 60c

other then the multiplier and core voltage i've not messed with anything else.
I still need to do a long test but that would be when I have some free time.

I do have question.
What's the benefit of having lower overclock and lower voltage. the only difference Iin temps is 5c ?

Soldato
OP
If you have 3.8 stable at 1.3v I would go with that. Your well within the safe zone.
If the stress test is 65c you real world will be hi 50's

In reply to your question, yes then only difference would be 5c nothing more but your higher temps are fine.
I need to correct myself, after my last post I did a 2nd test with OCCT and my system froze as I doing a 2nd test, to get it stable I had to up the Voltage to 1.33v for 3.8Ghz I did some more tests and it seam its now stable but the temps did go upto 70c

I have also retested the 3.7Ghz overclock just in case which is fine at 1.26v

Soldato
OP
Thanks for help, I just wanted to test it to the limit and get it stable as possible if you know what I mean.
No I have a baseline and a good idea I can alway go back and mess with it in the future and see if i can improve things.
I think i'm going to go with 3.7ghz for everyday use, like you said its only 0.1ghz and the extra voltage and heat is not really worth it, to me at the moment 3.7ghz seam to be the most stable and from the cinibench results the gain is not much between them.

I will try the Ram timing next and with 3.7ghz and see what happen one everything is good ill go to the next step and try 3.8ghz.

I had forgot how long it can take to overclock and test everything.

Soldato
OP
For me, RAM... i set XMP, Up voltage at about 1.4v than just up the speed. I dont touch timing myself(normally).
with a simple voltage bump, most DDR4 would go up a few click in bios. 2133/2400 >> 2800/3000 this is a good gain in speed if you ram is around 3000mhz+ thats gains can become harder/smaller but they can still be had just dont expect massive jumps in speed

one thing to remember is Ryzen is very fussy with ram, personally i would go with a simple bump in speed and not really jump into timing an so on.
I have 3200 ram what should i change it to at the moment its set as the default 2133.

Soldato
OP
save bios setting's on the last tab of your bios page. then turn on XMP.
this is good ram there is no reason why you can't get full XPM speeds but dont hope to overclock, as said ryzen is full with ram. that said 3200mhz is a good speed
I dont mind if its not full speed as long as i get some improvement.

Back
Top Bottom