Overclock setting needed for Ryzen 1700x

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys.

i've done a few test using cinibench, AIDA64 & OCCT, OCCT needs slightly more voltage compared to AIDA64.

Here is what I got 3.8Ghz @ 1.29v Stable in AIDA and cinibench but I needed to up it to 1.30v stable in OCCT max temp so far 65c
I also tested 3.7Ghz @ 1.25v stable in AIDA and cinibench but I needed to up it to 1.26v stable in OCCT max temp so far 60c

other then the multiplier and core voltage i've not messed with anything else.
I still need to do a long test but that would be when I have some free time.

I do have question.
What's the benefit of having lower overclock and lower voltage. the only difference Iin temps is 5c ?

Permabanned
If you have 3.8 stable at 1.3v I would go with that. Your well within the safe zone.
If the stress test is 65c you real world will be hi 50's

In reply to your question, yes then only difference would be 5c nothing more but your higher temps are fine.

Soldato
OP
If you have 3.8 stable at 1.3v I would go with that. Your well within the safe zone.
If the stress test is 65c you real world will be hi 50's

In reply to your question, yes then only difference would be 5c nothing more but your higher temps are fine.
I need to correct myself, after my last post I did a 2nd test with OCCT and my system froze as I doing a 2nd test, to get it stable I had to up the Voltage to 1.33v for 3.8Ghz I did some more tests and it seam its now stable but the temps did go upto 70c

I have also retested the 3.7Ghz overclock just in case which is fine at 1.26v

Permabanned
1.33v is fine and 70c is fine. Stress testing out unreal load on the cpu in real day to day app/games the cpu will run a lot lower

Although 0.1ghz is not really worth the extra voltage and heat, the max is fine but the call is yours.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for help, I just wanted to test it to the limit and get it stable as possible if you know what I mean.
No I have a baseline and a good idea I can alway go back and mess with it in the future and see if i can improve things.
I think i'm going to go with 3.7ghz for everyday use, like you said its only 0.1ghz and the extra voltage and heat is not really worth it, to me at the moment 3.7ghz seam to be the most stable and from the cinibench results the gain is not much between them.

I will try the Ram timing next and with 3.7ghz and see what happen one everything is good ill go to the next step and try 3.8ghz.

I had forgot how long it can take to overclock and test everything.

Permabanned
I will try the Ram timing next and with 3.7ghz and see what happen one everything is good ill go to the next step and try 3.8ghz.

I had forgot how long it can take to overclock and test everything.

For me, RAM... i set XMP, Up voltage at about 1.4v than just up the speed. I dont touch timing myself(normally).
with a simple voltage bump, most DDR4 would go up a few click in bios. 2133/2400 >> 2800/3000 this is a good gain in speed if you ram is around 3000mhz+ thats gains can become harder/smaller but they can still be had just dont expect massive jumps in speed

one thing to remember is Ryzen is very fussy with ram, personally i would go with a simple bump in speed and not really jump into timing an so on.

Soldato
OP
For me, RAM... i set XMP, Up voltage at about 1.4v than just up the speed. I dont touch timing myself(normally).
with a simple voltage bump, most DDR4 would go up a few click in bios. 2133/2400 >> 2800/3000 this is a good gain in speed if you ram is around 3000mhz+ thats gains can become harder/smaller but they can still be had just dont expect massive jumps in speed

one thing to remember is Ryzen is very fussy with ram, personally i would go with a simple bump in speed and not really jump into timing an so on.
I have 3200 ram what should i change it to at the moment its set as the default 2133.

Permabanned
I have 3200 ram what should i change it to at the moment its set as the default 2133.

look in bois you will find an optio called XMP set this to enabled. this will tighten the timings and set the speed to 3200mhz, with a ryzen CPU this is fast ram. you may have lower your ram spped

what ram do you have? some ram as a lot of head room some as none

Soldato
OP
save bios setting's on the last tab of your bios page. then turn on XMP.
this is good ram there is no reason why you can't get full XPM speeds but dont hope to overclock, as said ryzen is full with ram. that said 3200mhz is a good speed
I dont mind if its not full speed as long as i get some improvement.

Back
Top Bottom