Overclock Success And Safe?

Associate
My specs:
Asus P5Q Pro Turbo
Intel Quad Q6600 1.35V
Asus 460 1GB GPU
8GB OCZ Reaper DDR2

I am new to overclocking so forgive me for my ignorance. All i did was change the FSB from 266 to 300 in the bios; and it automatically changed my RAM from 533Mhz to 374Mhz. I think the voltages stayed the same; the CPU is 1.304v and the RAM from CPUZ is 1.80 for the first three and 2.100 for the last one. And the FSB to DRAM ratio is 4:5

I re-did windows experience and the RAM and CPU got 7.2 instead of 7.1

Does this mean i have overclocked? Is is safe in terms of voltages etc? What program should i use to stress test the CPU and RAM?

The reason why i am not sure it did overclock is that in "my computer" properties and speccy it still says my CPU is at 2.4

Thanks for any help

Soldato
What you need to do is down load real temp or core temp to check the temps and run prime 95 for a while to check its stable. That windows experience is not that good to be honest. I got a low score on a hard drive so i got another for raid and the score was the same but just buy using the computer you could see the difference with out doing tests

Last edited:
Associate
OP
1) Temps are fine; the CPU is about 40c idle and 50c full load about 5c more than when at stock levels; i need software for windows 7 to test PC; is OCCT okay?

2) When i changed the FSB my mobo seemed to UNDER clock my 1066 RAM from 533mhz to just 375Mhz. There was no option to put it to 533; only 800, 1001 or 1200; and when i tried 1200 the PC would not boot. 1001 Seems stable but when i cold booted up this morning it shutdown and restarted itself within a few seconds. So i overclocked my CPU to 320 and now my RAM is at 531mhz instead of 533mhz. How do i ensure the RAM is correct rate and safe?

3) I noticed in OCCT that my "CPU Frequency" is lower than before i overclocked; normally 2400 but now at about 1912. What is this about / how do i correct it as i could nto see an option for it in the bios

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds like you have under clocked it.

And them temps dont seen right only 10c increase under load.

Rest your bios

them set your memory to 2.1volts

set your vcore to 1.36 can lower it later if need

up the fsb a bit at a time

set the memory to a little lower than standard. Eg if its 1066 memory set it to 1000 it will go up as you overclock

Post some screen shots of the following programs loaded core temp cpu z and prime 95

Last edited:
Associate
OP
1) Okay i set the RAM to 2.1v (is this under the warranty threshold)?

2) Vcore meaning "core voltage" if so CPUZ is reading it as 1.360V. Again is this covered by the warranty; i remember reading 1.35 in brackets somewhere

3) I upped the CPU to 333; once i did that the RAM went to like 1133mhz and did not boot; so i moved it down to exactly 1066 and it boots. I don't mind not overclocking the RAM any way; but should i lower the voltages now that the RAM is not overclocked?

4) Where do i get the windows 7 74 bit version of prime95? And sorry to ask but what is the easiest method to post screen shots (Ive never done it before)

5) Finally occt and CPUZ says that my "core frequency" is 2001.6 when it should be at least 2400 no? And sometimes it jumps to like 3000

Thank for all of your help

Last edited:
Soldato
1 take your ram out and look at what volts it says on it. it should be set to them volt according to your first post.

2 yes core voltage. And your good to 1.36 and the would not know anyway. Overclockin voids warranty but how they going to know. What you set it to in bios it will be a little lower because of vdroop

3 it should go up as you clock just keep putting it back down

4 you mean 64bit. Just Google it.. Press print screen on your keyboard then open up paint and press paste. Then save to your desk top then Google imageshack and upload it and post the link

5 disable speed stepping this is slowing your cpu back down when not being used. Leave it on for now but when clocking higher you will need to turn it off.

6 that was hard work on a phone lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Stolen from another forum he he he

Manual AI Overclocking Tuner. (in order to set value for FSB Frequency)

Any value above default FSB Frequency.

AUTO CPU Ratio Setting (Otherwise set a value in range. AUTO is optional)

Smallest value DRAM Frequency. (be twice the value you've set for FSB Freq.)

Disabled DRAM Static Read Control.

Disabled DRAM Read Training.

Enabled MEM OC Charger.

Enabled Load-line Calibration.

Disabled CPU Spread Spectrum.

Disabled PCIE Spread Spectrum.

Performance for CPU Margin Enhancement.

AUTO AI Clock Twister (Otherwise, pick one from list such as Light)

AUTO AI Transaction Booster
(Otherwise, choose Manual, set Common Performance Level with a lower number, Enabled all pull-in phases.)
Disabled C1E Support, and C-State Tech. (Power saving features)

Disabled SpeedStep Tech., for fixed multiplier ratio (Enable it for power saving)

AUTO for the fields you don't know, otherwise, set specific values.
#6: Try set a 1:1 FSB to DRAM ratio if possible.
E.g. 1 MHz FSB freq. vs 2 MHz DRAM freq. = 1:1 ratio.

This is because FSB freq. (due to Quad Data Rate) is a result of rated FSB freq. divided by 4, and for DRAM freq. (due to Double Data Rate) is a result of rated DRAM freq. divided by 2.

Try only increase the FSB 5 or 10 MHz at a time. Don't do big leaps.
#7: 3 main factors drive overclocking: VCore, FSB Termination Voltage, and North Bridge Voltage.
Try increase voltages one baby step at a time.
#8: Absolute max safe VCore for Intel chips to run 24/7 is 1.4V, any voltage above that will
damage your CPU in the long run.
#9: Remember to have sufficient cooling in place before test overclocking.

#10: If your RAMs are not in the ASUS QVL, then try to give a bit more voltage and set looser

Associate
OP
I am thinking of not overclocking now; especially since i may end up having to get better cooling and sort all these out.

Instead i was thinking of overclocking on the fly, only when i need it, like when video editing, rendering, gaming etc by using the asus Turbo V program. In that window it has
the following. What should i set these to; and that is all i'd have to set to get temporary performance boost?

CPU Frequency - 300?
CPU voltage - 1.35?
DRAM voltage - 2.1?
FSB Term Voltage. ??

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom