Overclocking 2700x on ASRock Taichi - help!

Associate
Okay so I'm a total noob to overclocking Ryzen, I've come from x58 which was totally different and was done via BLCK... I've been looking at it guides but they are all totally contradictory, so anyone with this board running a successful OC feel free to guide me!

I've got my memory tuned in and stable at 3466MHz CL14 with pretty tight timings at 1.365v on 8 pack Samsung b-die.

I've done a few cinebench runs and it's a consistent 1828 multi and 180 single core with cpu totally standard and above ram speed.

Soldato
I haven't overclocked Ryzen but it's my understanding you should overclock CPU first and then RAM. I suppose as Ryzen is very RAM speed dependent the two might interact, but I'd be wary of maxing out RAM speeds before clicking the CPU at all.

8pack might also have some advice with the TaiChi boards. Can't seem to tag him.

Associate
OP
I haven't overclocked Ryzen but it's my understanding you should overclock CPU first and then RAM. I suppose as Ryzen is very RAM speed dependent the two might interact, but I'd be wary of maxing out RAM speeds before clicking the CPU at all.

8pack might also have some advice with the TaiChi boards. Can't seem to tag him.

Ah okay I've saved the profile with the ram at 3466cl14 and 3200cl12 both stable. So can always start again with cpu. Unless of course it's not worth messing with and just leave things as they are.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Easier than the RAM really.

Standard cooler? Or aftermarket or water?

Set RAM to default speed, CPU multiplier to whatever gives you 4200Mhz, disable Core Boost, add a tiny bit to VCORE, then test.

If all good, try to increase the multiplier a bit more. Once you’ve established a stable clock change you RAM settings back and test again.

Think they pretty much all do 4.2Ghz TBH.

If you rely more on single core performance it’s probably not worth doing though. XFR can boost higher than 4.2Ghz whenever it needs to.

2700x will pretty much look after itself, i just set my core voltage to 1.35 so it didnt cook itself and set windows power plan to windows balanced(Ryzen Balanced tried to put 1.5v in the chip!) One or two cores will do 4.35 and i get a 4.1 all core boost. I always aim to keep my temps under 65c as over that it loses boost quite dramatically.

Associate
OP
Easier than the RAM really.

Standard cooler? Or aftermarket or water?

Set RAM to default speed, CPU multiplier to whatever gives you 4200Mhz, disable Core Boost, add a tiny bit to VCORE, then test.

If all good, try to increase the multiplier a bit more. Once you’ve established a stable clock change you RAM settings back and test again.

Think they pretty much all do 4.2Ghz TBH.

If you rely more on single core performance it’s probably not worth doing though. XFR can boost higher than 4.2Ghz whenever it needs to.

I'm using the Noctua D-14 which did a fine job on my Xeon so will be using and sticking with that.

I've set my SOC voltage to 1.1 and actually found that I had PBO disabled as standard, so enabled that and Cinebench did 1879 multi and 190 single.

The only games I'm currently playing are pube-g, Civ 6, C&C Generals and some other RTS game I forget the name of... no idea if these are heavily single core pegged or not, but noticed Civ boosts all cores to 4.2 and pube runs them all over the place to 4.350 on the majority of cores, but core 1 and 3 were hitting 4.55 and 4.45 respectively.

2700x will pretty much look after itself, i just set my core voltage to 1.35 so it didnt cook itself and set windows power plan to windows balanced(Ryzen Balanced tried to put 1.5v in the chip!) One or two cores will do 4.35 and i get a 4.1 all core boost. I always aim to keep my temps under 65c as over that it loses boost quite dramatically.

I've left voltage on auto, other than SOC as I saw a video earlier from AMD themselves saying any OC or XFR/PBO should have this set to 1.1

Temps I'm seeing around 55-60 gaming but seeing mid 70's on bench tests, but the TIM I'm using is dreadful... so that's getting changed asap!

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I found using XFR and VCORE on Auto frequently went over 1.5V which I’d didn’t like the look of.

Might just switch back to XFR and drop the all core OC, doesn’t seem to make much difference except for benchmarks.

I’ve just been playing around on and off for the past few weeks to see what it can do. :p

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Yeah, agree with you.

I don’t know if there’s anything that can be done to encourage boosting using XFR other than adequate cooling.

Might play with BLCK OC’ing next. I think that works with XFR as long as it’s below 105.

Associate
OP
To be honest, looking at my CB15 scores I think I must be doing okay, as I get 1879 multi and 190+ single with Discord, Steam, Epic launcher, Battlenet and VMWare Horizon remote sessions all running as well as all my other crap for mouse drivers, headset etc etc.

Soldato
You seem to be doing fine. For Ryzen it is restricted by the normal temps and voltage. After a point more cpu voltage produces little gain but the temps rapidly start rising. BLK over clocking tends not be of much use for Ryzen unless you want small gains and like a challenge. As well the normal tests I find BF 1 and BF 5 are very good at finding unstable overclocks, if they are fine for an hour then things are heading in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom