• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Overclocking 7820x

Associate
Hi,
I'm looking to overclock my i7 7820x and was hoping for some advice.
This is my first time overclocking a CPU, the most I've done in terms of overclocking is my GPU with Afterburner. And undoing an unstable overclock my motherboard had as standard when I bought it, that's about it.
My motherboard's the Asus TUF X299 Mark1 and I'm using Corsair Hydro Series H115i PRO for cooling.
For the overclock I'm using the TUF AI suite 3 which is a bit overwhelming with all the settings, I'm aware the majority of the setting don't need touching I just don't know what's what and would appreciate some advice.

I'm just looking for a mild to moderate overclock, nothing too extreme. Around 4.4 to 4.6ghz on all cores is about what I'm aiming for.
I'll leave a couple of pictures below of the AI suite I've found on the net, the top one is basically like for like but with 6 cores instead of 8, the bottom pic is the only one I could find of the setting, but it's not quite like for like with it being a different CPU in the pic, mine has 9 settings either side and this picture only has 6 either side.
If I can find a way to post my own pictures I will or I can just list the settings out if it helps, just ask.
Any info will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Asus-TUF-X299-Mark-1-AI-Suite-3-2.png

attachment.php

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you got 2 cores disabled ? It says 6 core?

For a easy overclock just move the sliders up on the ratio and the vcore. Put the vcore at 1.35 and then up the ratio bit by bit.

Edit: after a quick Google it seem that those CPUs clock well with lower vcore so to get to 4.6 you shouldn't need to touch the vcore. I face you could lower it a little.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Have you got 2 cores disabled ? It says 6 core?

For a easy overclock just move the sliders up on the ratio and the vcore. Put the vcore at 1.35 and then up the ratio bit by bit.

Edit: after a quick Google it seem that those CPUs clock well with lower vcore so to get to 4.6 you shouldn't need to touch the vcore. I face you could lower it a little.

No sorry those aren't pictures of my system all 8 cores are running on mine, I just grabbed a picture off the net. I couldn't find a way to upload my own image without uploading it to a website first so I thought that'd do. To be honest it was just to query if I needed to even touch those settings below e.g DRAM AB voltage, Uncore voltage offset, and so on, there's 9 of those settings on mine so I was a bit over-faced.

You've answered that above anyway thanks, so I just need to bump up the ratio slider bit by bit and run a couple of stress tests and if I want to do a more aggressive overclock at some point perhaps try the vcore at 1.35 and do the same... Thanks. My only question is if I do want to change the vcore is it just the OC voltage slider in the top picture? And ignore Offset voltage?

Soldato
No sorry those aren't pictures of my system all 8 cores are running on mine, I just grabbed a picture off the net. I couldn't find a way to upload my own image without uploading it to a website first so I thought that'd do. To be honest it was just to query if I needed to even touch those settings below e.g DRAM AB voltage, Uncore voltage offset, and so on, there's 9 of those settings on mine so I was a bit over-faced.

You've answered that above anyway thanks, so I just need to bump up the ratio slider bit by bit and run a couple of stress tests and if I want to do a more aggressive overclock at some point perhaps try the vcore at 1.35 and do the same... Thanks. My only question is if I do want to change the vcore is it just the OC voltage slider in the top picture? And ignore Offset voltage?

I'm not to sure what that OC voltage is for, I would just slide the CPU vcore on in the second picture. You could just press that fast tuning and it would do everything for you. But what that will do is, make the vcore higher than what it needs to be and you won't get your max overclock. But if your not going for max and temps are good, I wouldn't worry about it.

I would Google '7820x overclocking guide' there should be a good few knocking about. Just copy the setting in bios.

Associate
OP
Cool, I may do the fast tuning if need be. This is where I'm getting a bit baffled that second picture doesn't correspond to the options I have in my AI suite, I have no CPU vcore voltage option. The only thing close in my options is in the first picture where it says CPU core voltage(adaptive) with the 2 sliders.
I'll write out the options that would be on the second picture if they were like for like with my AI suite.

DRAM AB voltage..................................................................DRAM CD voltage
Uncore voltage offset.............................................................DMI voltage
VPPDDR CD voltage..............................................................CPU standby voltage
Core PLL voltage...................................................................DRAM VTT AB voltage
DRAM VTT CD Voltage...........................................................CPU VCCIO voltage
CPU system agent voltage......................................................PCH core voltage
VPPDDR AB voltage...............................................................CPU input voltage
CPU AUX1 voltage................................................................Transmitter DQ De-emphasis
Transmitter DQS De-emphasis...............................................Transmitter CMD De-emphasis

So yeah, a bit baffling... I will give it a go with google cheers.

Associate
OP
I've just had a flick through the BIOS to see if I could find a CPU vcore voltage option but nothing the only thing I could find similar was "CPU core voltage" I'm very cautious about picking the wrong setting though... Does anybody know if CPU core voltage is on in the same as vcore voltage?
Any guide I find for overclocking talks about vcore voltage and I have no such option, so it's a bit frustrating.

Soldato
I've just had a flick through the BIOS to see if I could find a CPU vcore voltage option but nothing the only thing I could find similar was "CPU core voltage" I'm very cautious about picking the wrong setting though... Does anybody know if CPU core voltage is on in the same as vcore voltage?
Any guide I find for overclocking talks about vcore voltage and I have no such option, so it's a bit frustrating.

Yeah it's the same thing.

Try this

https://www.overclockers.com/forums...-ASUS-x299-TUF-MK1-Need-help-with-OC-Settings

Back
Top Bottom