Overclocking an i5-3570

Associate
Hi guys I was wondering if you'd be able to tell me if I can overclock an i5-3570 using a Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H. I know you aren't meant to be able to overclock non-k chips but I have read in places that you can. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh.

Soldato
Hi guys I was wondering if you'd be able to tell me if I can overclock an i5-3570 using a Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H. I know you aren't meant to be able to overclock non-k chips but I have read in places that you can. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh.

overclock via the BCLK, if your board allows it . intel quickly made Board vendors stop this with Z170 board, UNLESS they had a BCLK chip installed

Associate
OP
overclock via the BCLK, if your board allows it . intel quickly made Board vendors stop this with Z170 board, UNLESS they had a BCLK chip installed
Thanks for the reply!! I don't suppose you know if theres anyway to find out if that board supports doing that? I want to make sure that it will before purchasing it. Thanks!

Soldato
It will overclock your i5-3570. It will also overclock your Sata, PCIe (GPU and anything else in PCIe), RAM and probably make things unstable unless it's a very minor BCLK OC. You could damage your drives in particular. Things changed with Z170/LGA 1151 where BCLK only affected CPU and RAM and was more feasible.

Associate
OP
It will overclock your i5-3570. It will also overclock your Sata, PCIe (GPU and anything else in PCIe), RAM and probably make things unstable unless it's a very minor BCLK OC. You could damage your drives in particular. Things changed with Z170/LGA 1151 where BCLK only affected CPU and RAM and was more feasible.

Thanks for the reply! Would you guys say it would be safe to get it up to 3.8-4GHz?

Soldato
It already turbos to 3.8GHz. And with a 102 BCLK OC it would only scrape 3.88GHz.

BCLK on that old platform isn't safe for other components, you need to know that. Doesn't mean they will die every single time but you are increasing the probability and decreasing their lifespan.

It's also pointless given the measly gains. More than 102 and it's unlikely to be stable given how it affects other things that (unlike CPU and RAM) don't take overclocking well. And even 102 won't be guaranteed stable on every board/with other components.

Associate
pmSB6sd2j

I know this post is old but... I got results

Back
Top Bottom