Overclocking/PC-performance consultants: do they exist?

Associate
Just completed my first PC build in about 15 years.

I want to check that I'm getting the best performance from every component and I don't have the time/inclination to teach myself.

I don't feel like I'm getting the FPS in games (Warzone/Cyberpunk) that my spec should deliver (according to other online benchmarks) and I'd be willing to pay someone an hourly rate to remote in and help.

Do such services exist?

Man of Honour
You can spend hours even days fine tuning a system whats fps you getting ?

The RTX 3090 barely clears 40 frames per second with all the settings cranked and the resolution set to 4K in Cyberpunk.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the quick reply mate.

yeah, I think it’s less about Overclocking and more about just helping me to check that all the components are behaving themselves as they should in terms of thermals, power, standard performance etc

I’m struggling to get more than 100-130fps in Warzone at 4K. Afterburner is reporting 95% GPU usage at about 65C, but really low CPU usage (30%) at 60C which seems quite warm. GPU-Z is saying PerfCap “Idle”.

No matter what I do I can’t get the FPS to really jump, even if I reduce to 1080p, CPU usage doesn’t get above 45%

Man of Honour
Gaming at 4k is gpu bound so would expect high cpu usuage as for gpu temps 60c at 95% is excellent . Cpu seems hot for 30 % usage but run some cpu nenchmarks and also monitor temps under load see what its maxing out at.

Memory see what its speed its running and timmings download cpuz.

Associate
OP
Thanks again for your help.

I understand that 4K gaming will be GPU bound, but doesn’t explain why setting resolution in Warzone to 1080p still can’t get the CPU above 40-45% usage.

Could this have anything to do with the fact that my 5950X has 16 cores and they won’t all be working at 100% at the same time?

I’ll run Cinebench and post result here tomorrow

Associate
OP
Timespy Extreme:

Then I ran Cinebench:

So it looks like CPU is cooler when running flat out in Cinebench (with GPU idle) vs. at 30-40% utilization in Warzone??

I don't know anything about memory, but this is what I could find (this is interesting, because I enabled XMP in BIOS and could have sworn they were set to 4,000Mhz!):

Task Manager says 4,000Mhz... (I'm being thick here, aren't I?):

Man of Honour
Memory is running at correct speed, warzone cpu usage is probsbly right as you said not using all cores at full speed.

All cores loaded and lower temps seems slightly odd compared to warzone temps, but a quick google says this can be normal due to certain factors, AVX instructions.

So generally cpu temps are maxing out at 60c i would be happy with that.

Soldato
I'd check and see what FCLK is set to as 4000 ram should be 2000 FCLK and if it's not then you get quite a high latency penalty which could effect fps. If 2000 FCLK isn't stable but 1900 is then you would need to lower the ram 3800 to avoid then latency hit etc.

Associate
OP
How can I determine whether the CPU is throttling?

Even at the very lowest graphics settings in Warzone, I cannot get my CPU usage to anything close to 100% (see below MWMonitor screenshots). As far as I can tell, this the same in other games too, not just WZ.

Associate
OP
You wont get your cpu to 100% in games, its throwing out as many frames as your graphics card can handle.

The 3090 should be able to give me waaaay more than 180fps at 1080p. I know it's not a 1080p card and I won't be playing at that resolution, but in an attempt to bottleneck the CPU and boost fps by reducing the resolution, I still can't get CPU usage above 45%. I know that Warzone is a particularly poorly optimised game and no game is going to be able to utilise all 16 cores and 32 threads, but I should be able to get 240+ fps at 1080p and c. 200+ at 1440p

Back
Top Bottom