Overused movie sound effect

Soldato
There's quite a few obviously but there's one used a lot and is probably the most awesome. :) I wonder if anyone can find an isolated or standout example of this without narration or music over it. I hear this same sound in every single blockbuster movie. Yep, there it was in pacific rim today. It's a wide sounding descending note which starts quite low, quite bassy, kind of sounds like a big animal noise. I can see why it's so used because it conveys awe and size of things like heavy metal objects, spaceships, massive monsters, things like that. I don't know how this sound would be labelled when sound effects guys need it but it seems to be the obligatory go to sound they use. I still like it but was wondering if anyone here thinks it's used too much and time for a new one? I'm fairly sure I first heard it in jurassic park and it's been used ever since.

It's pretty much this sound, right at 1:02 as the Jaeger lifts his right foot and again at 1:04. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ObgAiyvYNE

Soldato
OP
This sort of sound?
http://www.pond5.com/sound-effect/8357699/ominous07.html

I remember hearing it way too much in man of steel, isn't it the noise in battle star galactica when the cylon baseships appear? I can't find it though...

Nope, not that. Like this triceratop breathing out, right at 0:09 seconds. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was that very sound that started it and which they've used and slightly enhanced for movies since.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JylK4HuKMvQ Bit like a yawn sound that we make.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Of all the generic noises in that trailer the sound you're suggesting is the least generic in my head. :p

The one where things were being clipped together at around 30-40 seconds is far more used IMO. At least it didn't have the generic GENERIC sound of bunker doors opening, identical whether it's on Mars, in a Soviet bunker or an American one. Apparently there is only one company that sells bunker doors out there! :D

Lol. Also, in pacific rim, there's another over used sound. The bit where one of the scientists angrily turns off his machine. It gives that typical power shutdown or power outage sound, a bit like a mini version of the other sound I'm on about.

Soldato
OP
OP, is it the "Sauron having his finger chopped off" sound you mean?

Skip to 1:50

That's the first film I remember hearing/seeing it in.

That's it! That's the exact sound. Nice one. So what would that sound be called or described as? It's one of the most ubiquitous movie sounds depicting the awe and wonder of anything on a massive scale.

Soldato
OP
Overused? Probably.

A more likely explanation is that you simply watch too many films. For the vast majority of people I'd argue they are a treat now and again :p.

Personally I love that sound effect.

In all honesty, I really don't watch many movies at all, certainly not compared to many people. I haven't even seen dark knight rises yet or Ironman 2, to name only two blockbusters on my to see list. And yes, I think it's an awesome sound, but still overused. I cant imagine another sound in it's place though that would be as good.

Back
Top Bottom