Own .com address

Associate
I don't know anything about web design, graphics etc aren't my thing but how easy is it for a novice? Do you automatically get a custom email address with a website? Been looking at this kind of thing http://www.1and1.co.uk/email-hosting but thought one of you lot might be able to help.
It's for my girlfriend's new business so any advice too about changes to insurance/mortgage etc as she'll be running it from home.

Soldato
dont use 1and1 they are gits.

i use uk2 as a rule and find them much better.

1&1 cost us a small fortune because they refused to cancel our order even though we sent them a letter (which they said they didnt get) so they automatically charged us again.

we rang them, told them about the letter, they said they didnt receive it, nor the email we sent. we then asked to cancel the account again. they then said they would reduce the cost to what we were willing to pay, i said what they were on about. the woman said "in your letter you said that you wanted to cancel due to the cost of the service"(the letter that they apparently didn't receive!!!)

id never use them again, had a right rigmarole with them and it cost me about 6 months paying them!!!

Soldato
So i take it you already own the .com domain?

You should be able to change the MXrecord to point it at what ever mail sever you want. Some packages like the one you linked include the setup of the .com domain. You wont need this if you already own one.

I've personally used mail hosts like thinkgrid and office365 and you just set your MXrecord up to point to that mail server. Then you can log into your account to view mail in the web app or you can always configure it in outlook.

All i would say is, with 1&1 their default package is POP3, which isn't the best of experiences setting up, and there is a delay between emails sent and received (since the server is checked after certain time periods).

I would personally recommend a hosted email exchange, since the emails come through real time pretty much and the servers are usually auto discovered when you type in your email address and password rather than worrying about knowing the correct pop3 and Smtp email servers.

But take a look around and see if it is worth it for the price.

Soldato
I use tsohost. A friendly bunch and well recommended on these forums.

Once you've an account set up, you can set up numerous email addresses.

It's then easy to administer the email via Gmail. And you can send on behalf of your new email address.

Soldato
I feel people have just jumped on you throwing stuff you'll be confused by at you.

Lets start here, what do you have already? You will need a domain name; you will probably want a TLD (e.g. .com address), so you would have businessname.com, this would allow you to then (if you wished) host a webpage so people can view it, or you could just use it for WebMail so you could have [email protected].

You'd need to work out what domain you want, then register the domain (about £7 on average), and then also what you want, do you want a webpage, or just the webmail?

Associate
dont use 1and1 they are gits.

I've never had problems with 1and1 and have been using them for a few years and changed packages several times :( due to the clients bussiness changing requirements :(

When selecting the packages it will tell let you know all the details to your package and select a package that allows some upgrading without need to change package.

Back
Top Bottom