p35 boards with no ddr3 support

• Thread starter Thread starter C64
  • Start date Start date

C64

C64

Soldato
This is perplexing me why have the manu's made these boards that will take the new cpu's but not ddr3 surely by the time the cpu's are here ddr3 will be mainstream it makes no sense as i really cannot see which gap it is filling.
I think they are a bit naughty to not include ddr3 support on all p35 boards quite frankly they are starting to take us for mugs imho.

DDR3 won't be mainstream for at least a year, there's limited production capacity so if everybody made them DDR3 only, there wouldn't be enough RAM to go round = insane DDR3 prices.

Jokester

DDR2 will do the job for a good while yet. There are boards with both DDR2 and 3 support but obviously all the different slots take up lots of space.

C64 said:
This is perplexing me why have the manu's made these boards that will take the new cpu's but not ddr3 surely by the time the cpu's are here ddr3 will be mainstream it makes no sense as i really cannot see which gap it is filling.
I think they are a bit naughty to not include ddr3 support on all p35 boards quite frankly they are starting to take us for mugs imho.
feel free to pay 3-4 times the price for your RAM & then discover that performance isn't any quicker than good DDR2.
I for 1 am quite happy that I will be able to use my existing quality DDR2 on a P35 or more likely X38.

I made sure my P35 based board didn't have DDR3 support.
I wanted 4GB of RAM, so wanted 4 DDR2 memory slots - that rules out as far as I know nearly every hybrid board.
I don't think any have 4x DDR2 slots and at least 2x DDR3 slots.

DDR2 will be plenty fast enough for the new breed of Intel CPU due at the end of the year, so I'll purchase the CPU first and drop that into what I've got.
Then, by the time DDR3 is priced well, is mainstream and will actually offer a performance boost I'll then make the purchase.
At the same time I'll then be looking at the next chipset anyway - P38 or newer if it exists.

stoofa said:
I wanted 4GB of RAM, so wanted 4 DDR2 memory slots - that rules out as far as I know nearly every hybrid board.
I don't think any have 4x DDR2 slots and at least 2x DDR3 slots.
P35C-DS3R does

over the next year/year and ahalf ddr2 timings will get tighter and tighter so that the performance improoves i think a jump to ddr3 now would be more taking people for mugs as ddr2 has only just really got mainstreem
besides these p35 mobo's are a first release of a boared that supports a cpu that isnt released yet so you can garuntee buy the time the 45nm chips arrive there will be a better lineup of mobo's with better features and proberbly more ddr3 support when the release comes.

That's my point by the time the cpu's are affordable ddr3 will be too
and better than using ddr2 but you will have to get a new board
fair enough if the cpu's come first and ddr2 is better than ddr3 but i cannot see that happening.So in my opinion the p35 boards are a pointless exercise
until ddr3 is better than ddr2.

Back
Top Bottom