• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

P4 prescott and PC400`

Associate
Ok guyz i have a P4 3.2Ghz and 2 GB of pc 400 ram (Kingston value ram). 1GB is cuttently in the pc and the other 1 Gb is still in the box. So far i have been able to overclock my processor to 3.4Ghz (stable) and i know from reading other threads that this processor can reach 4Ghz. Would i be able to reach 4ghz if i stick the last 1Ghz to make it 2Gb in my system.

My reason for thinking this is based on the fact that my motherboard has the Dual Channel option included meaning that i can use the full 800fsb of the processor (if i make my ram 2Ghz operating on this dual channel). Is this theory true or wrong. Do i need only 1 Ghz operating on dual channel or the 2 ghz operating on dual channel before u can use the full 800fsb therby allowing me overclock better. :confused:

Man of Honour
Wrong, the 800 FSB is using the "Quad Pumped" bus that Intel use to harp on about, but it is still based on a 200 Mhz clock same as the DDR. If anything having more memory in your system may lower overclocks, not improve them.

Associate
OP
So i guess it will be pointless to install *** extra ram then. So what the hell is the dual channel option there for then. 2 sticks of ram supposedly takes u up to 400 fsb and the remaining 2 sticks should give me the last 400 fsb. :confused:

Associate
The g-skill hz4000 is good ram or corsair i think,if you do a search for the g-skill i think people have hit upto 560mhz on it,i've took mine as far as the cpu will go on air but the memory will go higher. :D

Associate
OP
Lt Goody said:
The g-skill hz4000 is good ram or corsair i think,if you do a search for the g-skill i think people have hit upto 560mhz on it,i've took mine as far as the cpu will go on air but the memory will go higher. :D

What temps do you have with ** HSF.

Suspended
Iceberg, I'd recommend reading some overclocking guides which will run you through the basics of computer architecture.

The long and the short of it for your spec is that you may be able to clock it up towards 4Ghz by increasing the FSB from the 200Mhz base frequency, but by doing so you will increase the frequency at which your RAM runs. This could potentially damage your RAM as it's not designed or rated to go to increased speeds. Swapping for more expensive RAM designed towards overclockers may help, but the easier and cheaper alternative for now is to use a divider such that the RAM still runs at 200Mhz or less (200Mhz is the same as DDR400, the rating for your RAM).

For example:

- You standard core frequency (I'll call this FSB from here on for sake of convenience) is 200Mhz;
- Your standard CPU speed is 3.2Ghz;
- Your mulitplier must therefore be x16 (200x16=3200)

AFAIK the FSB/CPU multiplier on P4 is locked (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not experienced with Intel lol :p ), so the way to increase your CPU speed is to increase the FSB.

So you increase your FSB in stages, testing stability between. Lets say that you get to 230Mhz FSB - your CPU will now run at 230x16 = 3680Mhz --> ~3.7Ghz. All good, except that your RAM will now be running at 2x230Mhz = 460Mhz. I doubt Kingston Value RAM will like this, hence putting a divider on to reduce the RAM frequency back down towards 400Mhz is what you would need to do, given your current hardware. You could try using a 9/10 divider which would give you a frequency of 460*0.9=414Mhz (the RAM still may not like this) or to be safe you could go for a 4/5 divider to give you a frequency of 460*0.8=368Mhz.

I'm really bad at explaining these things, so I hope this makes sense and I hope it helps! :)

Wise Guy
Soldato
Lt Goody said:

Same mobbo and CPU as me (well almost, mines is a 3gig).

Don't try for 4350mhz coz if you're anything like me you'll blow your mobbo up :mad:

MSI 865neo2 plat @ 4350mhz = BANG!
Once dead and then repaired Asus P4C800ED @ 4350mhz = BANG!

I see a pattern emerging here :eek:

Wise Guy
Soldato
Markjcj said:
it looks like you've gone from trashing OS installs to blowing up motherboards.

Nah nah, I still kill WAY more OS installs than motherboards, i had just reinstalled winblows the morning i blew the Asus up ffs! :mad:

Soldato
Bundles said:
Nah nah, I still kill WAY more OS installs than motherboards, i had just reinstalled winblows the morning i blew the Asus up ffs! :mad:

Give it time.

You started out by only killing one install of windows at first, then another.....

I hope you got good home contents insurance. ;):p:D

Wise Guy
Soldato
Markjcj said:
Give it time.

You started out by only killing one install of windows at first, then another.....

I hope you got good home contents insurance. ;):p:D

Nah nah see i was better than that, i've killed mutliple installs at once me :D

Soldato
Bundles said:
Nah nah see i was better than that, i've killed mutliple installs at once me :D

Well, since you seem to be forming a pattern here of destroying hardware as well as OS installs, I hope you will understand if I withdraw my invitation of hospitality for later in the year?

I will feel more secure with the several hundred mile barrier between you and my hardware. :D

Associate
OP
ok guyz i cant get it past 3.6Ghz. Even at this speed for some odd reason i cant burn CD's. Nero just refuses to do the job. i guess this is not a stable clock, but every other thing works just fine. What should i do? Should i up the Voltage on bothe the ram and the processor? Would this get me any higher without risking a blow out :D. Or does the fact that i cant burn cds mean thatthis is the limit. :(

Back
Top Bottom